Campus Celebrity: Bailey Castillo ’16

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

This week’s campus celeb is a world-traveling, people-helping, knowledge-seeking UNC senior, who has studied and lived abroad not one, not two, but THREE times (including her experiences in high school).  Not only is she co-president of Easing Abroad Students’ Entry (EASE), a mentor program for exchange students, but she also spent this summer volunteering with Syrian refugees.  When you look up “humanitarian” in the dictionary, Bailey Castillo’s face is beside it.

Name: Bailey Castillo

Year: Senior

Hometown: Durham, NC

Major: Peace, War and Defense

Minor: French

Her Campus: Denmark was your most recent study abroad experience.  Tell me about that.

Bailey Castillo: It was awesome.  I met some cool people, went to some really cool places, and learned through experience, not just through books (my favorite way to learn)! I had already done the classic “exchange” [in France], where you go to a school that speaks the language, live with a family [and] learn the language to completely immerse oneself.  I chose a program that gave me more flexibility and less immersion, while still meeting the needs of classes…in order to graduate.

HC: What was the most positive aspect about your study abroad program in Denmark?

BC: I had a very interesting experience in Copenhagen. Every study abroad I have had has had positive things come out of them, as well as negatives, but in the end it is always the positives I remember. My program in Denmark allowed me to travel every two weeks, as well as weekends. I also got to study the coolest things like prostitution laws and legislation from a European perspective, as well as terrorism. Taking classes on topics that are typically emotionally charged in the U.S. is interesting in another country.  It gives you a different perspective and allows you to round your own [opinions].

HC: What was the most life-impacting experience that you’ve ever had abroad?

BC: In terms of changing my life for the better, I would say the connection I made to the family I lived with in France when I was 15. My first host family was awful and I had to find my own if I wanted to change, so I did. I ended up living with a classmate and her family, and I still keep in touch with them to this day.  Moving into that family was one of the most life changing experiences because as soon as I moved in, my French went from basically non-existent to conversationally fluent in a matter of three months…My host mom was diagnosed with breast cancer my senior year of high school and that really influenced my decision to start college in France.

HC: What factors, other than your love for studying abroad, influenced you to get involved with EASE?

BC: Getting involved with EASE was a no-brainer when I came back from Denmark.  So spring 2015, I joined EASE and became a mentor. I mentored a girl from China and really enjoyed the experience. I had always been on the arriving side of exchange, so I thought it was really cool being on the receiving side for once. I had only been involved in EASE one semester before being selected as co-president, but the former president…thought I would be a good fit, and here I am!

HC: What is the greatest thing that you’ve learned thus far from your position as co-president of EASE?

BC: Communication is key. I set my expectations for the executive board from the beginning, and I think it was a good thing…Also, I’ve learned how much time and dedication goes in to the preparation for incoming exchange students. Not only EASE, but [also] the Study Abroad Office and other organizations that facilitate integration work very hard to make sure everyone has a good experience–both the hosts and the visitors. My philosophy for ensuring that things run smoothly at EASE is an open dialogue and honesty.  That seems to be working so far.

HC: In addition to EASE, what organizations are you involved with on campus?

BC: Last semester, I mentored for Bounce Back, our retention program run by CAPS (Campus Health’s Counseling and Psychological Services) for students on academic probation. I loved it! Unfortunately, I was unable to mentor this semester due to schedule conflicts, but I am hoping to get involved again next semester. My sophomore year, I played on the water polo team and volunteered for Project Sunshine!

HC: Tell me about some of your other passions.

BC: I am sure you can guess that I am passionate about encouraging other students to go abroad and helping them through the way, hence why I am involved with EASE.  I also love to travel.  I take it any chance I can get, whether it’s going to Boone, Wilmington or Europe.  I won’t turn down the opportunity.  I also have always been passionate about helping people and doing what is right.  I know that is vague and cliché, but I feel like I have always been involved in something greater than myself. I feel very privileged to live somewhere that is conflict-free and attend university, so when I have the chance, I try and help others who don’t have the same ability as me. In summer 2014, I taught English in Zanzibar with a program called Growth International Volunteer Excursions, and this summer I was in Amman, Jordan for two months working with Syrian refugees. I also love learning about new people through food–it speaks to the soul!

Well Bailey, based on your experience with helping others, it’s evident that you’re absolutely part of something greater than yourself.  It’s not cliché if it’s true!  Make sure to pack us in your suitcase next time you’re headed off to an awesome far-away land.

Rachael is a senior public relations major at UNC–Chapel Hill. In addition to being the president/co-campus correspondent of Her Campus Chapel Hill, Rachael is also a member of Zeta Tau Alpha sorority and a mentor for EASE, a study abroad organization. She is an enthusiast of Snapchat, strong coffee, and "hardcore parkour" goat videos.