Breaking My Habitual Norm: Food Choices

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

Everyone I know has a favorite place to eat and a favorite menu item. For me, it’s Chipotle’s Chicken Burrito (hold the guac, please). I consistently eat there at least five times a month and always, always, always order that blessed burrito. And although my food is always great, I recognize my tastebuds getting used to it. Out of this emerged my experimental days of trying new foods and new restaurants. And I have to say, my tastebuds were pleasantly surprised.

MONDAY: JASMIN MEDITERRANEAN BISTRO

Chicken Gyro Pita

I made a special attempt to stop by this (new-to-me) restaurant on Franklin Street in between classes one day. It wasn’t a bad way to stop my redundant food ordering habits, but I think I’ll have to try something else on the menu for next time.

TUESDAY: STARBUCKS

Caffe Mocha

Normally, I’m a diehard tall Caramel Macchiato kind of girl. However, this time I stopped myself mid-order and decided to try the tall Caffe Mocha. While I may never be a pumpkin latte type of person, I think I may have found a new go-to drink with this one.

WEDNESDAY: CHIPOTLE

Chicken Tacos

Hold the burrito, and put it in taco form please. I mean this counts as trying something new, right? Even if I did get the same ingredients in different form…

THURSDAY: SPICY NINE

Chicken Lo Mein with a side of rice

If you ever get the chance to visit Chapel Hill, you must stop by this college and local favorite. Not only do they have BOGO on the sushi (which is why I always get two orders of California Rolls), but my first try of the Chicken Lo Mein was really good. I recall a bit of an orange tanginess to the flavor, but I still appreciated it all the same.

FRIDAY: LINDA’S

Loaded Cheese Fries

My roommate convinced me to try this one. I’m a huge fan of chili cheese fries from corporate establishments like Sonic, but it’s always good to support local businesses (especially during this time of the year). The cheese fries came warm, gooey and ready for my mouth to indulge. If you’re ever on the corner of Franklin and Henderson Street, then I recommend stopping by for a quick bite.

SATURDAY: BUFFALO WILD WINGS

Spinach Dip and Wings

I’m a bit embarrassed to admit that I’ve never eaten at this favorite sports spot. But the Spinach Dip combined with the pita chips were “ah-ma-zinggg!” And my chicken wings with teriyaki sauce were a perfect combination as I recognized Saturday’s 59-21 Carolina win against the Miami Hurricanes.

SUNDAY: TRU DELI + WINE

Build your own sandwich

For my final day of eating new foods, I built my own sandwich at this local establishment. Lightly toasted wheat bread with turkey, pepper jack cheese, lettuce, cucumbers, pickles, avocado and mustard made trying new foods a delightful choice.

Now that you’ve gotten through the entire article… I’ll bet you’ve built quite the appetite. I know I have! So share with me below foods to check out for next time. Happy eating!

Elise McGlothian is a Junior at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. She plans to graduate in 2016 with a degree in Broadcast Electronic Journalism. Since starting her collegiate life, Elise has decided to pursue a career a Television and Entertainment Producer so she can spread messages of self-respect, share the hardships and triumphs of others and become a resource to all.