samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Best Places to Study on Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

Highlighters, flashcards and study groups mean next to nothing if you don’t have a study environment that suits your needs. Whether you’re looking for silence, focus, comfort or just a good place to charge your laptop while you work, you can find what you need without ever leaving campus. The following places are some of the best study spots on campus.

The Sitting Area Outside of Lenoir Dining Hall

This area gives you a nice view of the pit, you can enjoy the sunshine, and there are outlets located against the wall you can use if you forget to charge your phone or laptop.

The Art Gallery in the Student Union  

This area is nice because it has multiple couches you can sit on so you study in luxury, although outlets are a bit hard to come by. The cool art in the space makes up for that, though!

The Bottom of Lenoir

If the outside of Lenoir is crowded or if the weather is bad, then the bottom of Lenoir (BOLO) is a perfect substitute! This area is perfect for studying because you can study and eat at the same time.

The Two Benches in the UL

If BOLO is too crowded for your tastes, check out the benches hidden away in the UL! Most people don’t know about these benches but they are amazing for studying in privacy and for taking short naps in-between studying.

The Steps of Wilson Library

According to UNC first year Katelyn Shadowens, the steps of Wilson library are amazing for studying. The steps have a nice view of Polk Place, and they are perfect for individuals who want to study outside, but who don’t want to sit on the grass or dirt. Plus if the weather isn’t so nice, you can go inside and feel like you’re  in Hogwarts!

Polk Place

An ever-popular study spot on nice days, Polk Place (also known as the Quad) is perfect for studying, especially for individuals who love nature and people. Also, the Quad is prime puppy spotting territory!

The Balcony Above Student Stores

Most people walk through Student Stores for the sake of its escalators without ever realizing that they can go out on the balcony. This area is perfect for privacy, people watching, and studying, and it has a great view of the Bell Tower, so you’ll never lose track of time!

Your Dorm’s Lounge Area

If you find that you can’t study in your bed (or if your roommate kicks you out), the lounge area in your dorm is a pretty great place to study. The lounge areas have good lighting, usually have comfortable seats, and they’re always open!

Whether you seek comfort or concentration, your study environment is important. As finals approach, try to find an area of the campus that you are comfortable and relaxed in!

What are your favorite on-campus places to study?

I am currently a student at UNC Chapel Hill studying English and Communications. In the future I hope to become a writer/producer for the Disney company. "You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." -Christopher Robin, Winnie the Pooh