This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

The Arc is a new blog on campus for students who wish to discuss topics relating to social justice. Each week, writers share their opinions on a variety of social issues, movements, discussions, etc. and cover Campus Y and community events that highlight efforts to raise awareness and the push toward a more just society.

The ultimate goal for The Arc is to allow students to let their thoughts and passions loose on a platform that will continue to generate more discussion about the necessity for social change in our community.

Zaynab Nasif, a sophomore majoring in Global Studies with a minor in Urban Planning, began writing for the blog when it made its debut last semester. Zaynab entered college somewhat shaky on the idea of social justice, but now advocating for social justice has become a significant part of her Carolina Experience.

Zaynab Nasif

“Through my time here at UNC-Chapel Hill, and listening to people’s experiences and stories, I’ve learned that advocating for social justice is important to making this university more inclusive and to also make it a space for dialogue,” said Zaynab.

Zaynab attributes this continued and necessary conversation to spaces like The Arc blog. In addition she highlights its ability to teach those who may be unfamiliar with certain social justice topics.

“Having a blog is one way to do so, and any comments or criticisms I get from it are always teaching me something, so I hope that others learn from it as well,” she said.

“Exposure can lead to students’ understanding a variety of issues (i.e. race relations, microagressions, etc.) and having a campus that is inclusive, diverse, and open to new ideas,” she continued.

Her final words are perhaps the most significant message of our discussion.

“Social justice is more than just watching what you say or being ‘politically correct’ – it is about being mindful of others’ experiences and histories to create an inclusive and progressive space for everyone,” Zaynab concluded.

Think The Arc sounds like a cool way to get involved? Check out the website and sign up form here.

Lanier Gray

Chapel Hill

Lanier is a Journalism major and Hispanic Studies minor at University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Through coursework and extracurricular activities, she has developed an interest in advertising, public relations, and editorial news. In addition to writing for the Chapel Hill chapter of Her Campus, she explores and develops her passions by serving as the Director of Communications for the Campus Y: UNC’s center for social justice, and working as the public relations assistant manager and local public relations specialist for Natura Magazine. She enjoys covering campus life, pop culture, sports and lifestyle. Lanier hopes to continue learning more about journalism through her current experiences and through future internships.