9 Songs You’ve Probably Never Heard That Every College Girl Can Relate To

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

Music can be such a relief when going through hard times, reminding you that you aren’t alone with whatever you’re feeling. I personally have a Spotify playlist for every emotion. There’s nothing like finding a new song that hits a chord, so here’s a list of not-so-popular, but still amazing songs, that I think every girl can relate to!

1. So Fly x Elle Varner

There was no golden ticket in my chocolate today.

Going to a school like UNC where there is a 60/40 girl/guy ratio, we are SURROUNDED by beautiful women. Just walking around campus, it’s easy to be reminded of all the things that are wrong with you, which Elle can relate to as her song analyzes all the things that are wrong with her. The last chorus had a great message that every girl needs to hear.

2. Step Off x Kacey Musgraves

Don’t wreck my reputation; let me wreck my own.

People are going to talk…always. We like to all say we’re above gossip, but no one is. There’s nothing worse than hearing information about yourself you didn’t even know. Kacey Musgraves knows all about that and let’s everyone know that she will do what she wants and make her own decisions despite what the grapevine wants to say.

3. Pumpkin Soup x Kate Nash

Whoops I think I’ve got too close, cause now he’s telling me I’m the girl he likes most.

That aaaawkkkkward moment when a guy you’re in a casual thing with decides he’s in love with you. Usually in relationships, someone likes the other more, and when it’s him who is fawning over you while you’re barely invested, you have to be very delicate how you handle his feelings. Nash knows this and gets how complicated this situation can be.

4. Ghosts x Laura Marling

I’m still mourning over ghosts that broke my heart before I met you.

Baggage. We’ve all got it, and it can really be a hinderance on new relationships. There’s nothing worse than when you meet someone amazing, and you’re both still recovering from someone who hurt you. Marling can relate to this, openly telling her new bae she’s still a little damaged from the last one.

5. The Motion x Drake

Cause we said no strings attached and I still got tied up in that

College is full of “situationships”- you’re not together but you do all of the things that couples do and the terms of what you are changes every day. The Motion could be considered the anthem of that — how things might not be right when y’all are doing your thing, but they always come back around once you’ve moved on.

6. Fool of Me x Meshell Ndegeocello

What kind of fool am I that you sent me so easily aside.

When you give someone everything and they still turn around and don’t love you, you just feel stupid. Not mad, not sad, just foolish for letting someone have enough of you to hurt you like that. This song is the perfect thing to listen to when trying to define that emotion of “I should’ve known better.”

7. Pretend x Tinashe

When I’m looking for love I pretend it’s you

We all have that guy: the one who no matter what he does wrong we still want to forgive him. Tinashe just wants to pretend this guy isn’t the dirtbag we know he is and just pretend to be in love. This can be a very dangerous situation, because once it’s over and you’re done pretending, all you’ll be left with is the truth.

8. Friends x Ed Sheeran

Friends don’t treat me like you do, well I know that there’s a limit to everything but my friends won’t love me like you.

So this is for that iffy guy — y’all are just friends but there are some lines that aren’t clearly defined. He brings you soup when you’re sick, you study in Davis together into the wee hours of the night, he’s the first person you tell exciting news. Maybe even there have been a few frat party dances-turned-to-kisses. So the question is: is this friendship or is this more? Maybe you’re scared of asking that because the answer won’t be what you want to hear, or if you try to make it into something more, your friendship will end. It’s up to you to decide which category you want your relationship to fall into- as Ed explains, the gray area is not an actual thing people can stay in.

9. Quit Breaking Up With Me x Little Big Town

Well, we’re always fixing something that was never broken.

On-again off-again relationships are so annoying. Having a guy who is constantly changing his mind about whether he wants to be with you is really exhausting. Sometimes that fighting can be the fuel to the relationship, which this song completely understands. Make sure you take a moment to step back and evaluate if you two really like each other or just the drama and adrenaline of the constant bickering.