6 Fun Things To Do This Spring in NC

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

It’s finally that time of year again – that time of year where you step outside to find students covering the lush green grass of our beloved Polk Place, where the sun is as bright as the happiness it evokes among the students, and when the flowers start to bloom – achoo! It’s that time of year when campus comes back to life. Now that it’s finally starting to feel like spring, enjoy this lovely weather in the Triangle with these six fun ideas.

1. Head out to the ballpark.

Between Carolina’s talented team and the Durham Bulls down the road, there are plenty of opportunities to watch America’s favorite sport and enjoy a warm and relaxing afternoon or evening. The Bulls will kick off their 20th season with an opening day celebration on April 15.

2. Visit Duke Gardens.

Enjoy these gardens in their prime season. The 55-acre public botanic garden has been named one of the best in the country, and tours are completely free. With the amount of flowers in this garden, you could spend hours just walking around the property enjoying the warmth of the sun and the flowers blooming in front of you. Bring some food and some friends, and you could enjoy the gardens even more with a picnic.

3.  Spend the day at Jordan Lake.

With so many outdoor activities like fishing, hiking, swimming, picnicking and more, Jordan Lake is the perfect place to visit if you want to enjoy the warm spring weather. In March and April, the park’s day use areas are open from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. In May these hours extend to 9 p.m.

4. Drive out to the farmers market.

With spring upon us, many fruits and vegetables are about to be in season. Visit a farmer’s market to taste and purchase some of these fresh foods. The Carrboro Farmers’ Market, located on the Carrboro Town Commons at 301 West Main St., is open every Saturday from 9 a.m. until noon. If you’re willing to drive a bit further, you can visit the State Farmers Market in Raleigh, located at 1201 Agriculture St.

5. Hang out with some lemurs.

While the Duke Lemur Center sadly lost the beloved Jovian, star of Zoboomafoo, last November, it is still home to nearly 250 individuals across 21 species and has the largest living collection of endangered primates in the world. With a student ID, tours cost $9. To make a tour reservation, you can call the center at (919) 489-3364 ext.0.

6. Cool off with some ice cream.

Nothing seems to beat the pairing of a warm sunny day with cold delicious ice cream. At Maple View Farm, they only make the best. Bob Nutter, founder and one of the farm owners, is the fifth generation of his family to farm the land. In fact, his family has been in the business since the early 1800s. The farm offers a variety of ice cream flavors from Carolina crunch to honey toasted almond and is open from noon to 9 p.m. every day.

Photos courtesy of Duke Gardens, pittsboronc.net, Trip Advisor, Duke Lemur Center, and destinationwakeforest.com.

What are some of your favorite spring activities? Share with us in the comments

Mikala is majoring in Journalism (Public Relations Specialization) and Global Studies and is minoring in Hispanic Studies. Her learning experiences both from PR courses and from outside PR experiences have led to Mikala's aspiration to become a PR practitioner. She hopes to continue learning more about PR through her current experiences and through future internships.