5 Emotions to Keep in Balance

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

Have you ever felt so angry you felt like punching through a wall? Or maybe so sad that you couldn’t focus because every thought was directed at the thing making you blue? Yeah, we’ve all had our emotions get the best of us. However, these same emotions can sometimes be beneficial to you. You just have to learn how to use them to your advantage.

1.     Anger

You know that feeling when your hands are balled up so tight you could break through a cement wall and your body is shaking furiously? That, my friends, is called anger. Anger works in mysterious ways, though. If you allow it to consume you, you could really affect some of your relationships with people and say things that you don’t actually mean. However, if you use it to fuel you, you can accomplish some great things. You could also let it help you plot your revenge, which would be all too sweet.

2.     Sadness

No one wants to be sad. It’s a very overwhelming feeling. It can make all of your favorite activities and people seem overpowering and too much to handle.  However, when you are sad, you can do the activities and see the people that make you happy. Surround yourself more with the people you love and the sadness will slide off like rain on a raincoat.

3.     Happiness

Now this one might be weird. Why would happiness be on this list? Doesn’t everyone want to be “happy?” The answer is yes, but the idea of happiness is what makes happiness belong on this list. Happiness is something everyone wants to achieve, but people get consumed trying to find it. People want happiness so badly, they search for it in the strangest places. Happiness should be created and found within yourself and in what you are doing for yourself. Happiness should fuel you to be a better you.

4.     Fear

Fear is the most complex emotion. Everyone tells you that your dreams aren’t big enough if you aren’t afraid of them. I tend to agree with this statement. However, if you have too much fear you will never accomplish any of your dreams. Fear has to be balanced so that it isn’t so overpowering that you are too afraid to go after your dreams, but enough so that it empowers you to accomplish them.

5.     Love

Love will have you doing some interesting things. Things you would normally never consider if you weren’t so in love. However, this can be a terrible emotion if it comes to the point that love is more harmful than helpful. Love can be a vice if you don’t have some control over it. It can bring you to do some irrational things if you aren’t careful. You are not a “half.” You do not need another person to complete you or make you whole. Love can also a beautiful emotion. Love can be delightful. It is the butterflies you get when you see your significant other or the smile that’s plastered on your face when you think back to the cute things your “bae” said to you. Either way love can be great, but don’t let it be your only focus.

Emotions are a weird and interesting part of life. Sometimes they help us and sometimes they hurt us. However, if you learn how to work them in your favor, then life could prove to be a little bit simpler.

Morgan Newell

Chapel Hill

My name is Morgan Alexis Newell. I am a sophomore at The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, where I am a broadcast journalism major. Before UNC-CH, I went to Arendell Parrott Academy for my high school career. I am originally from New York, New York and White Plains, New York. I now live in Chapel Hill, NC and my hometown is Greenville, NC.