10 Pieces of #RealTalk College Advice

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

1. Reading for classYou DON’T have to do all of the assigned reading. Be realistic. Read what you know is important and skim the rest. Also, almost 100% of the time the ‘optional’ books for classes are a waste of your time and money.

2. Sunny days It’s okay to skip class if the weather permits, just not every class. Your sunny days in the Pit/Quad are numbered. (Sorry, I’m a sentimental Senior right now.)

3. That drunk friend We all have our nights. But, NEVER let your friend sit on the bathroom floor in a bar. Don’t let her do it. She’ll love you for it the next day.

4. 21 + life- Marg Mondays. Tequila Tuesdays. Wine Wednesday. Thirsty Thursday. Yes. Always.

5. Heels If you wear heels out, keep them on. It’s never appropriate to take them off while you’re out… let alone walking home. Just say no.

6. Sleep Sleep when you’re dead. Some of my best college memories are nights that turned into mornings. Tears that turned into laughs. Most importantly friends that turned into family.

7. Spontaneous food adventures- Sure, calories are a thing that exist, but so are cookout trays. The morning after Bojangles or a late night cookout tray for some motivation to keep studying will always be the answer. Shoutout to you cajun fries.

8. Study abroad PLEASE. If you don’t follow any other advice on this list, at least follow this one. Study abroad for a semester. I guarantee it will change your life. There’s no place like Chapel Hill, BUT it will welcome you with open arms after a semester abroad (and so will all your friends).

9. Grades- There’s more to life than a letter or number. Sometimes you’ll spend weeks studying for an exam that you’ll still get an 80 on. Work hard, but remind yourself life is so much more than grades. Don’t stress the small stuff.

10. Friends- Spend as much time as you can with the people who will undoubtedly define your college experience. Whether it’s a wine night or a Bachelor viewing party. Don’t take your people for granted because you’ll need them throughout your college experience.

Rene Gupta

Chapel Hill

Broadcast major in the UNC School of Journalism and Mass Communication. Little, Indian, and planning to take over the world. Talents include quoting Mean Girls, binge watching The Kardashians, and eating guac with every meal.