Palcohol: Your New Best Friend?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CCCU chapter.

Have you ever looked at milkshake powder and thought, “What if I could have this but with booze?”

If so, your dreams just became a reality in the USA thanks to Mark Phillips, inventor of Palcohol.

Palcohol, or powdered alcohol, was approved for sale earlier this month.

Each sachet contains enough powder to make one mixed drink when added to five ounces of fluid.

Want a rum and coke? Just add an R sachet to five ounces of rum. Vodka and orange? Use a V sachet and orange juice.

Fancy a cocktail? It comes in four flavours: Cosmopolitan, Mojito, Lemon Drop and “Powderita” (which is Margarita-flavoured).

But why make powdered alcohol?

According to Phillips’ website, it’s all about weight.

One sachet of Palcohol “weighs about an ounce and is small enough to fit into any pocket”. You can take it on hikes, on picnics, or even in your luggage without worrying about bottles breaking.

If Palcohol catches on in the USA, it’ll only be a matter of time before we get our hands on it in the UK.

Would our Campus Contributors try Palcohol?

Melissa: I think it’s a good idea, but in moderation. Knowing students, it would end up with people ODing on sachets. Also – people would be able to sneak them into pubs and clubs, which is bad for business. I wouldn’t use them.

Millie: On paper they seem like a good idea, for things like festivals or camping where you have limited space. However it does raise concerns as to whether people will treat them correctly. I possibly would consider using them.

Shelby: Sounds weird, I wouldn’t trust it!

Hannah: Sounds like kool aid, why not?

Mason: I haven’t heard of it but I wouldn’t trust it. Drink Responsibly comes to mind, but people don’t. It’s asking for trouble!

How about you? Would you try Palcohol? Let us know in the comments, on Facebook or through Twitter (@HerCampusCCCU).

Penny Gotch is an Essex girl living in Kent, where she's studying Creative & Professional Writing. She dabbles in everything. Fiction, non-fiction, poetry, script: you name it, she does it. In her spare time, she likes music, baking, and watching wrestling. For more information, please check out her website: www.pennygotch.co.uk