nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The Ultimate Guide to Battling Stress

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CAU chapter.

Prior to entering college, our only stress may have been applying for school or wondering who is “A” in the television series Pretty Little Liars. Nevertheless, most of that stress increased due to the pressures placed on students.The headache of meeting deadlines, presenting a group project, or even striving to meet that personal fitness goal are all examples of what trigger anxiety attacks in a Collegiette’s life. In an effort to attack these stress busters, listed below are 10 Tips on Channeling Stress. Catch a breather sis, we gotcha covered! 

(Credit: Google Images)

1.    Lay out your clothes the night before an 8 am Every college student has once experienced the problem of waking up and having to rush for class. On top of being stressed about this 8 am, now you have to rush you look good or maybe have a classy case of the bum day. However, setting out clothes ten minutes before you sleep at night will give you time to review over homework and take your time walking to classes.

2.    Sleep I cannot express how important it is to get sleep. Whether you endured a long night at the library or decided to slump directly after your courses, sleeping allows us to refresh our minds and ourselves for the tough day ahead.  Not getting enough sleep at night can be anxiety provoking and your mental health is way more important than staying up to study for that test.

3.    EAT Some college students overeat and get the freshmen fifteen, some under eat from the pressure. Both can be unhealthy and extremely stressful. Also, make sure that you don’t endure “cafeteria selection stress”. Sometimes eating the café happens alone and that’s okay.

4.    Surround yourself with great friends. While you don’t come to college to make a million friends, surrounding yourself with healthy and supportive people in your life is extremely beneficial. 

5.    Appreciate alone time. Some people get anxiety from trying to put themselves in social situations they don’t need. I personally take alone time throughout the day or on my weekends because alone time can help you remain sane.

6.    Exercise. Also, some people find exercise stressful it can actually be amazing for you. Exercising and specifically cardio exercises energize you and can be found to be a great stress reliever. I recommend exercising to 90’s pop music. 

7.    Asking for help is HELPFUL. A lot of people like entering this part of adulthood mean that they don’t have to ask for help in any situations. I personally enjoy talking about my weekly stressors with friends or even trusted professors because you are not alone.

8.    BREATHE. No really, breathe, it’s okay to breathe, it’s okay to take breaks as well. Count from 10 to 20 slow exhales and inhales. Breathe in reps to ‘Staying Alive’ by the BeeGees too, whatever works best to calm you down. 

9.    Learn what makes you tick. It’s difficult writing articles that pertain to every variety of stress and anxiety. I’m writing this list based on my personal experiences and the experiences of those who trusted me enough to use their experiences in this article. 

10.    Love yourself. A forgotten art form and the most important piece to this article.

Hello, my name is Tayla Minette Camper and I'm writer and membership advisor for HerCampus at CAU. I am currently a senior at the prestigious Clark Atlanta University.