Spelman Enrolling Transgendered Females?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CAU chapter.

Recently, Spelman College announced that they will begin to admit transgendered female students as of Fall 2018.  Spelman President, Mary S. Campbell, states that the renowned college will accept students who “consistently live and self-identify as women, regardless of their gender assignment at birth.”

Some alumnae have spoken out and believe that this will “ruin the history” behind the college.

U.S. News & World Report ranked Spelman College as the No.1 HBCU in the U.S. for more than 3 consecutive years. Spelman College was founded in 1881 through the Atlanta Baptist Female Seminary, but became Spelman College in 1924. Spelman is the oldest historically black college for women in America. Spelman has provided women with higher education for more than 120 years.

Contrary to positive feedback, others believe that this newfound rule gives equality and a choice for students who have taken the steps in transitioning from their birth sex to their personal identity and gender. Transgendered females can now feel included as a actual women, rather than being labeled as “transgender.” Spelman’s decision became a hot topic amongst alumae, current college students, and social media.

Some social media accounts expressed their excitement;

“This is great news…So proud of this esteemed institution. #AllBlackGirlsRock,” said a college student.

“I am so proud of Spelman for recognizing that anyone who identifies as a female should be accepted.”

In 2014, Mills College in Oakland, California became the first women’s college to actively begin accepting transgendered female students. Since then 8 other colleges have followed the same route. Spelman is now a part of that grouping. Mills College has set precedent for other colleges who would look into accepting transgendered female students into their colleges. Along with Mills College, Barnard College, Agnes Scott, and few more female colleges have made the decision to accept transgendered females into their institutions. 

Although some may view this change as progressive, others believe it will cause more damage than good. Should Spelman stick to history? Or should the college evolve with the current times?  Did Spelman make this decision to keep from staining their reputation as the number HBCU in the country? 

Hello, My name is Carlina Lominy. I am a graduating senior Political Science major at THE Illustrious Clark Atlanta University. I am originally from Ft. Lauderdale, Florida and enjoy reading and writing! You’ll often find me with my head in my books, and/or doing research.