This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CAU chapter.

The Weeknd is finally back…At least I hope he is. Music lovers everywhere finally have a reason to listen to Abel’s music again (no shade, just facts!). The weekend surprised his fans everywhere when he unexpectedly released his latest album, My Dear Melancholy, (the comma is not a mistake, its included in the title). I’m assuming and hoping the comma hints at a possible follow up album. His newest album has been trending on YouTube since its release and is already in the Top Ten charts on iTunes. Fans of Abel Tesfaye have been commending him for returning to his original dark and soulful sound. The past projects The Weeknd has released have been totally different sounds. His songs are more upbeat and have more of a pop feel, rather than the alternative R&B we all know and love. I have listened to all of his previous projects, but I haven’t enjoyed them as much. Following his breakup, with singer and actress Selena Gomez, I assume The Weeknd went straight to work and released his latest six-trap album with songs inspired by his break up with her as well as his previous ex Bella Hadid. Yes, I did run to twitter to find out the 411 on each breakup and how they inspired each song. Over the years his style and songs changed heavily from the artist I originally fell in love with. Listening to his newest album brought back the same emotions I felt when I first discovered his music. Every time you listen to each song off of his latest project you’re somehow missing an ex you never actually dated. You’ll also probably find yourself texting people you’ve left on read and apologizing for the way you treated them. The album features the same soul, power, and emotion from past projects like Trilogy or one of my all-time favorites, 2011’s mixtape, House of Balloons.  Starting off with the first song, “Call Out My Name”, you can hear the pain and heartbreak with every lyric Abel speaks. The lyrics hint that he’s referencing a situation between him and his ex-girlfriend in verse 2. “I said I didn’t feel nothing, baby, but I lied I almost cut a piece of myself for your life.” I know after hearing that verse that I’m not the only one that heard those lyrics and instantly thought about his ex-girlfriend Selena Gomez. Earlier this year Selena shared her near-death experience going through lupus and how her best friend saved her life by giving her a kidney. So, when I heard the lyrics above I was shocked to find out Abel was supposedly going to give his kidney to Selena. The songs that follow sound like Abel is reflecting on past mistakes made in previous relationships. On the song, “Wasted Times” The Weeknd describes how he tried to move on from his ex (Bella Hadid) and realized he wasn’t happy and was not over her. The songs that follow feel like an open letter that The Weeknd wrote describing his wrongdoings (“Hurt You”) and desire to rekindle things (“Try Me”). For the first time listeners or the die-hard day-one fan, My Dear Melancholy, is an album you can listen to from start to finish without skipping a single song. Chances are you’ll even replay it.

Hi! I'm Ceriah Richard. I'm a Mass Media Arts major at The Illustrious Clark Atlanta university from Cincinnati, Ohio.