To My Black Men, We Love You

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CAU chapter.

In today’s day and age the black male in America has been idolized as a target for media to describe them as thugs, criminals, juvenile delinquents, failures, golden tickets, madmen and other negative stereotypes that perpetuate them. We have been brainwashed to see them as targets of threat by police and within our communities. But what we fail to realize is that there is so much more to them and not all black men are bad guys and fit into what society labels them as. From the way they walk to the way they take charge as leaders is one of the many reasons we love our black men. So we are going to highlight what we love most about black men:

Natural instinct for protection: What is so special about black men is their natural instinct for protection against their loved ones. They possess invincible strength and the ability to shield us against negative energy that comes our way. Nothing we love more from a black man is reassurance that no matter the circumstances, they will be there in an instant.

Unconditional Lovers: Black men I can say are love warriors that have unbreakable bonds with their loved ones ranging from their parents to their significant others or if they have children their kids. Nothing is more pure than a black man loving you because it is something unique about a man’s love towards woman that they generally don’t give out unless it’s their mother. A man’s mother is the first woman in their lives they love unconditionally until they find their equal. They love black women through their flaws and we are able to relate to them and that’s why their love is so special.

Role Models for Young Black Boys: As black women in society, we are seen as a double minority where we have been faced many trials and tribulations in all areas of life, but black men have some of the worst reputations that a lot of people categorize them in and it’s always refreshing to see them making something of themselves. Seeing black men trying to beat the odds of what our country labels them as, they’re making it possible for the younger generation to see that they can be the next doctors, engineers, basketball players, millionaires, CEOs of companies and much more. Personally, I love a black man who has the potential to conquer anything he sets his mind to and that’s doing something to be a better man.

Intellectual Thinkers: In today’s world, there have been criticisms that black men aren’t as intelligent as black women, but many black men possess a certain level of thinking that intrigues collegiette like us on a daily basis. Besides them being protectors and lovers, a black man who can hold an intellectual conversation about topics they’re passionate about is so nice. We have seen many black male influencers who intrigue black women such as Jesse Williams, Lance Gross, Hill Harper, and Marc Lamont Hill just to name a few, and are faces of intellectual black men who speak on various topics and we love them.

Wide Spectrum of Chocolate Men: I won’t discuss the differences between light skin and dark skin, but the main thing I love about black men is that they range from your lightest caramels all the way to your dark chocolate Hershey bars. Every collegiette can express that there’s no limitations on our black men because it’s endless. We have Chris Brown who represents the light brothers down to Tyrese and Lance Gross who represent our dark chocolate men and we can’t help but love them all. The versatility in our men is one of the many reasons why we love them.

Various Roles They Play: It is not very easy to be a black man in America. They all wear multiple hats on a daily basis. Some are workers, providers, head of households, breadwinners, students, professors, knowledge seekers, sons, fathers, friends, husbands, boyfriends, and countless other titles and black men sometimes struggle to uphold them. But they keep doing it and they’re doing it very well. In our profile sections of Her Campus CAU, we spotlight some men of Clark Atlanta University who are making an impact on campus and within the community. We must also pay homage to the rest of the men at CAU who are continuing to do what they’re doing and making an influence on others for the greater good.

Effortless Swagger Demeanor: In my personal opinion, what I love more from a black man is their style. Whether they’re walking on campus, running errands or attending a special occasion, they never seize to amaze with how well-dressed (especially in a suit LOL) they are. Black men have a distinct swagger that makes them different from other races and that’s because they also play a role in how fashion is transformed. They constantly come up with their own trends that appease to them and that’s what makes them unique. Whether it’s jeans and a t-shirt with a bomber jacket or in a tailored suit with dress shoes, black men execute without hesitation.

To my black men, we haven’t forgot about you. Just know we love you!!

Hey everyone, my name is Yasmyne Fisher. I'm currently the President/Co-Campus Correspondent at Clark Atlanta University. I am a graduating senior, majoring in Fashion Design. My passion is writing on what people want to read, whether it is fashion, pop culture, being black in America you name it I love giving my perspective of a college student to readers.