Meet The Cast of Yellowman: Derrick Robertson & Skye Pugh

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CAU chapter.

Yellowman, written by Dael Orlandersmith, is the second show of this season performed at Clark Atlanta University. This play details the relationship between Euguene, a light skin man, and Alma, a dark skin woman. I had the pleasure of having a conversation with the two main actors Derrick Robertson, as Euguene, and Skye Pugh, as Alma.

H.C: What was going through your head when you first auditioned?

D.R: Excited because it would be a challenge. We to had to make different distinct characters. And I was nervous about how well I would do.

S.P: Nervous as hell, because we had to play different characters and I’m thinking how am I going to do it? I was confused.

H.C: How did you feel after the audition?

D.R: Relieved!

S.P: The callback was more nerve wrecking than the audition

H.C: What has the process been during the rehearsal?

D.R: Tiring! So emotionally, mentally, and physically draining with so much into it.  The rehearsals were Monday and Wednesday from 7-10 and Tuesday and Thursday 6-9pm then on Saturday 12-4pm

S.P: Its been rough especially for me. I have cried and been angry but this play has made my grow as an actor.

H.C: Do you guys have any special warm ups that you do during rehearsal?

S.P: No, we don’t have special warms up but we come together and run lines to get started. Just a few days ago we had to run around the room saying our monologues *laughing*

H.C: Has this play inspired you in any way?

D.R: This play is helping me grow as an actor and taught me to push beyond my comfort zone.

S.P: Yes, very much so! I think if we pull this off, we can do this. My teacher used to tell us “Get naked”, not literally but when acting to put it all out there, you have to go hard and raw and give it your everything. From this play, I learned the issues within skin color and now I realized issues I had when I was younger. Even today in 2016 there are still issues. The black community has a lot of work to do. I learned that no matter what skin tone you are you are beautiful and you can be loved even by a light skin man. Black is beautiful

H.C: How do you want your audience to feel after they watch Yellowman?

D.R: Just as tired as we are- drained *laughs. I want them to think of their skin and how they see themselves, and think about how your childhood experiences can affect your adulthood choices. Rather we realize this are not we are affected by our childhood. And usually we focus more on the bad side of our childhood than the good

S.P: I want them to be ready to fall off the edge of their seats and be done with life. I want them to see the show come to life and understand what’s going on. I want it to be clear, and know that they got their money’s worth and to even come again to the next show and bring more friends.

H.C: What is your favorite part, without telling any spoilers?

D.R: When both our characters reach adulthood and the challenges they face when they reach that point.

S.P: Our characters when they’re children. During that scene, you realize that your parents have a major impact on you that follows you into adulthood

From this conversation, Yellowman will something to talk about!

Hello! My name is Therecia Lang. I am a sophomore at the illustrious Clark Atlanta University in the popping city of Atlanta, Georgia. My passion is in the Peforming Arts in the areas of acting and dancing. My major is Theatre Arts and I plan to pursue a career as an actor in TV/Film.