This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CAU chapter.

photo from: DJ CeeHudd

HerCampus had a chance to talk with DJ CeeHudd, an upcoming DJ in Los Angeles. He got his start at Hampton University and brought his talents bck to California. We had an opportunity to discuss his favorite songs to play,  how he got his name, and his most memorable moment as a DJ. 

HC:  Did you grow up in Los Angeles and how did you get the name CeeHudd? 

CH: I am originally from Carson, CA In the greater Los Angeles area. I was born there and spent my younger years there and when I got older my family relocated to Corona, CA about 45 minutes out of LA. Today I am everywhere from LA to Thousand Oaks and back to Corona because I have places to stay and it helps with wherever I need to be.

I’ve always been C-Hud since I was about 8 my dad’s friends would call me this. My name is Chris Hudson so it was like a cool abbreviation. As I got older my cousins would make fun of me and show no respect to the dash between C and Hud so I just conveniently took the dash out and added two E’s so there would be no confusion.

HC: How has Los Angeles influenced you professionally and personally?

CH: I do believe that being in Los Angeles has had a huge effect on me. Surrounded by this large entertainment industry and constantly hearing how other artists and DJ’s made it out and how hard they worked to get where they are is inspiring. Professionally it is the perfect opportunity to pursue something like being a DJ. There is so much to do and so many connections available which makes it ideal because there are tons of ways to make it.

HC: How did you become a DJ? Was it something you always wanted to do?

CH: I have always loved music and it can lift my spirits at anytime. My dad was actually a DJ in his teen-Young adult age and I would love his stories he would share and that’s when I became intrigued. However he would always say he didn’t really want me to do that because it gets addicting and the lifestyle can become too much. But sure enough around my senior year of High School me and my close friend Dj YungBake began to learn some techniques from our friend Dj Scrapy and that’s how it began for me.

HC: Where was your first show as a DJ and how did it go? 

CH: Well I remember starting off at Hampton University and I would just make people mixes and do little apartment parties and I kept saying I deserved to do a Holland Party. Holland at Hampton is a huge gym party that everybody goes to so I wanted that badly. So my Freshman year of college I was called upon to do the Last Holland of the year which is probably the second biggest one and I was with DJ Barry B, and it was lit of course and that’s when my name began to start buzzing.

HC: What are your top 3 songs to play at an event right now? 

CH: First Day Out – By Tee Grizzley, Gods Plan – By Drake, Ric Flair Drip- By Metro Boomin & Offset 

HC: What was the event that made you really want to pursue DJ’ing full time? 

CH: I don’t think I can give that honor to one event it was just a series of events that kept happening. Going into the Summer of  2016 I started to get booked for some of the biggest parties in California over the summer and my name just kept booming. As I went back to Hampton I felt unstoppable and decided I would throw my own party in the beginning of the year. So with the help of my friends we got together and did that and it was a success. Then I ended up doing more Holland Parties and got a lot of people’s attention. It was one night I distinctly remember,  DJ Camo let me open up for him at a 21+ club while I was only 19 and from then on I was put on his team called EpicNightNation with JT Williams Wynton Vaughn and Cam Abney. From there I was put on all Homecoming Parties, people at Hampton constantly requested me to DJ and big promoters were seeking me out in VA and I knew then this is what I was going to do.

HC: What would you tell someone who is reading this and they wanted to become a DJ as well?

CH: If you love it then pursue it. But be prepared to put in the work and time that it takes to be at a certain level. Be willing to invest money in yourself before anyone else does. Watch your favorite DJ’s and people that have come before you and shadow their techniques until you master them. Never give up on what you love doing. There are ups and downs in this industry and sometimes the downs are very low but that’s no excuse to quit. The two keys I believe that  will take you far in the DJ business is being different and making connections constantly.

HC: What are your personal favorites songs to hear at a party?

CHFeelin’ Myself by Mac Dre, All 4’s by DJ Mustard ft. RJ & 03 Greedo, and Booty by Blac Youngsta

HC: Who or what inspires you as DJ? 

CH: I love to please people and watch the crowd go crazy and I feel like I should always be at the highest level. If I had to pick a person Diddy inspires me. His quotes and his drive to keep me pushing forward. He stays the same no matter how high up he gets. 

photo from DJ Cee Hudd Instagram

Upcoming Events for DJ CeeHudd:

• I’m throwing an event on April 6 with my West Nation brothers so definitely that.
  •  #FREAKNIK18
  •  Hampton Homecoming 2018 stay tuned, I will be back to finish what I started and give my original class a great senior homecoming.

Follow DJ CeeHudd on Social Media!

Twitter – @DjCeeHudd_

Instagram – @djceehudd_

SoundCloud – DJ CeeHudd

Snapchat – ceehudd3

hello, lovelies, My name Reginae. I am a sophomore at Clark Atlanta University. My major is Mass Media Arts with a concentration in Public Relations. I love writing about pop culture, fashion, makeup, YouTube and queen Beyonce. Follow me @reginaeb_ on Instagram. -_