Learning Leah: Leah Hernandez

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CAU chapter.

What were your intentions when you first stepped foot on-campus? 

My freshman year, I had this crazy idea that I would become an event planner. My biggest dream was to work for BET. I wanted to plan their award shows but, as you can see, that did not last long. 

How has your experience as a Business Administration major aided you in your daily activities so far? 

My experience has mostly been made outside of the classroom. I became a member of the financial literacy program my freshman year. It educates students about financial literacy. Anything having to do with money, we help you with…Student loan repayments, scholarships, entrepreneurship, all of that. That’s what started it for me.  

You have definitely crossed the threshold of “adulting” at this point, (being a junior, a published author, a businesswoman, etc.) was it overwhelming at first? How do you deal with handling multiple responsibilities now? 

It’s a lot. Because once I leave the classroom, I’m a whole business owner. I have other people’s livelihoods in my hands. It’s weird because I’m just 20 years old. Like, I was just 19 a month ago! It’s weird to have so much responsibility when I’m so young.   

What do you do whenever you take out time for yourself?

Usually it’s forced. My boyfriend will be like, “Put the iPad away!”…I’m a workaholic at heart. But girl—Netflix!–If I could have a day where I can just watch Netflix to myself, that’s a beautiful day!  

I previously read up on your interview with Read More and I saw that the birth of your book began while you were studying abroad in China…What was that experience like? 

That was an amazing trip! The people there were amazing! None of us really knew each other, which made it better because when you’re out of the country for two weeks with a group of people, you have no choice but to create a bond. I met a lot of great friends there!  

What inspired you to write “Try God: How to Have a Relationship with God”? 

There was this guy on the trip as well, Austin Pratt, he’s that person that’s overlooked but has such a powerful story. He wrote a book and was telling everyone to read his book so when we were on the bullet train from Beijing to Shanghai, I was like, “Let me go ahead and read this book ’cause he keeps bugging us!” I read it, and it was one of the most powerful stories I’ve ever read. He shares his story about battling bipolar disease. It was so inspiring—for him to write a book and be so young, and then to share his story with the world. As soon as I finished the last chapter, God had dropped in my spirit to go ahead and write a book myself! I was like, “Me? Write a book? You’re asking for a lot!” But five minutes after entertaining the idea, I then went to write it! On the train! 

Why did you feel it was necessary to write your book? What are some reviews that you have received from readers?

I think it was important to write the book because I wanted to share a story that a lot of Christians don’t tell. A lot of people don’t tell how they faked the funk. I don’t mind talking about it because I grew up in the church. In a way I kind of mastered the art of playing…In the book I give away all those secrets. How I would be at praise and worship and if people looked at me, they’d think me and God were super close but little do they know I was faking it. Then I came to Atlanta for school and went through some stuff. I was trying to find peace and sanity and couldn’t because my so-called relationship with God was all fluff. When God was like, you need to write this story, that’s when it hit me.  Some of the reviews I got were like “Wow, that was so transparent! I felt like you were talking directly to me!” And that’s what I wanted. 

In the first chapter, “Understanding the Cycle”, you talked a lot about complacency and stagnation. I want to know your personal testimony…At what point in your life did you realize you were complacent in your relationship with God? 

My senior year of high school, I was in a relationship (I was having sex and all that), I remember sitting in a service and thinking “Leah you don’t have a relationship with God.” But at the same time I was like, “I’m okay with that.” Because I’m doing what my flesh wants. Then I came down here, wasn’t in that relationship anymore, going through the transition from California to Atlanta by myself, it was a lot! It wasn’t until I got hit with something for me to try and build that relationship with God. 

Do you believe it is important for other people to have their own definition of God, religion, spirituality, etc.? 

Yes. When you have that relationship with God, you can make your own definition. You can say, “I talk to God this way, God communicates with me this way.”  

You are a Girl Boss! Who/what has inspired you to become so? What other Girl Bosses do you admire? 

Growing up it was my mom. She was a single mom and that woman hustled to make ends meet! We may not have had all the money, but everything that I wanted to do, she somehow found a way to make that happen for me. So “Find a Way or Make One” was already ingrained in me before I got here because of my mom. When I got here, I started finding different people on Instagram and just seeing them grow. I really admired Dana Chanel, the owner of Sprinkle of Jesus, who shows how important it is to have a relationship with God and still run her business. Now, it’s my mentor, the department chair of Financial Literacy. She has her own business and is really smart when it comes to finances. 

Describe the process of building a business/company. What are the 5 most vital characteristics a businesswoman/men need to possess?

Well my business was random! While in the process of writing and publishing my book, my male mentor suggested I do something related to that. I was like, “A publishing company?!” I had no intentions of that at all. But it was another source of income so I got my business license, the EIN number (basically the social security number for your business), and got my business plan together. The characteristics I would say are faith, determination, stamina, grit, and balance. 

What all goes into publishing?

I would compare publishing to music. You know how you have the singer that sings the song but then you have the producer that puts the beat together, and the manager that pushes it. My job is to take all responsibility for the book. My author gives me the manuscript, I turn that into a book, then I turn the book into income. Getting it, editing it, making sure I get the cover art, making sure the author has all of their legal stuff, then it’s just promotion after that.  

Your Business Over Brunch event is also happening this month! What is your ultimate goal for the outcome of this event? 

My partner and I will have two different sessions. She’s going to talk about branding and empowerment. I’m going to talk about goal-setting and business planning so all attendees are going to walk away feeling empowered and motivated. Not only that, but they’re going to walk away with tangible things. You’re going to leave with a business model/plan and a clear vision for the year because we want to turn your ideas into implementation but we can’t do that if we’re just giving you motivation.

Have you found out what your purpose is? What do you say to others who may feel as though their purpose hasn’t been declared yet or maybe feel like they don’t have a purpose at all?

My purpose is to help people. To create content. And ultimately to satisfy God and bring more people to Him. I do that in an unorthodox way; it happens in conversations like this. It happens through being real with people…For people who feel they don’t have a purpose, I would say to focus more on having a relationship with God and keep up with that. 

Follow Leah’s journey!

Instagram: @_leahdanielle | Website: trygodthebook.com