Joelle from Dear White People is Problematic: Here’s Why

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CAU chapter.

So, I’ve officially finished binge-watching Volume 2 of Dear White People, a Netflix Original relating to the Black experience at a predominantly white institution, Winchester University. The main character, Samantha White, also known as Sam has a best friend named Joelle. Joelle seems to be Sam’s best friend, but when you take a deeper look your head seems to turn sideways when you realize that Joelle is secretly jealous of Sam’s entire existence.

From Day One, Joelle envies Sam’s appeal to the other students. She believes that her fellow Black peers only flock to Sam because of her more diverse (one would say white passing) features. What does not make sense to me is this: Why does Sam not realize that Joelle is not a real friend? Another question I have might be: Can you be a real friend while envying those you call your “friends”?

This season focuses on the secrets hidden within Winchester University. Sam is dealing with a heartbreak and Joelle is trying to pave her own way, from beneath the “shadow” of her best friend. Joelle is portrayed as this character who is taken for granted and picked over when really that’s not the truth! The truth is that Joelle is choosing to chase after men who do not want her. She’s picking the wrong men and she’s downright insecure. What strikes me as so confusing is that literally, NO ONE is talking about Joelle’s problematic behaviors. 

#1: Joelle is still trying to get Reggie’s (Sam’s ex-lover) attention. At this point, I want to rip my hair out. Reggie is clearly in love with Sam, even when she rips his little heart out in pretty much every episode. What makes absolutely no sense is the fact that Joelle refuses to believe that maybe Sam is sought after because of the kind of person she is. Sam might be closed off and rude, but she’s never the one to back down from an intellectual conversation. She fights for what she believes in and, most importantly, she speaks up. Yeah, Joelle… Perhaps speaking your mind (to Sam, not anyone else) would get you further in this friendship.

That brings us to #2: Joelle finally finds a love interest (who turns out to be a complete crazy man) and she loses her shit. Joelle brings the new guy to Armstrong-Parker, the previously All Black dormitory, just to parade him around in front of her peers. See, this is where she messes up. Once again, Joelle’s main goal is to show everyone that she can do something Sam can’t and that is keep a man. Three words: You played yourself

The entire social media spectrum is busy celebrating Joelle’s episode in this season, but they have yet to take a deeper look into the bitterness that is Joelle Brooks. I’m shaking my head at Black Twitter, and I’m honestly hoping for something better next season when it comes to Joelle. I would love for Dear White People to tackle colorism a bit more when it comes to her character. Also, a bit of self-love might be nice to see as well.

Hi! I'm Aliyah, a Senior Business Administration major with a concentration in marketing from PG County, Maryland. I spend my time watching YouTube videos, Netflix and reading books. I love all things storytelling.