jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Why You Probably Need to Re-evaluate Your Feelings Toward Tasha on ‘Insecure’

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CAU chapter.

I think we’ve all had our fair share of drama-filled television shows focused on crime, hectic emergency rooms, and lascivious political figures. It’s about time to bring our head down from the clouds and focus on what we can all collectively relate to. If you haven’t been keeping up with Issa Rae’s hit show on HBO, Insecure, it’s time you catch up. This show shines a huge spotlight on the real-life stresses of millennials (I know y’all hate that term, but it’s true!) We absolutely NEEDED this show. 

I know we’ve all grown to love Issa’s character on the show, but it’s safe to say that this girl definitely has some issues. We’re gonna stray away from Issa for a little while though. So where are we now in the show? Issa cheated on Lawrence and now this man is hurt out of his mind and coping in a way that is causing even more problems. He’s hurt someone new. Tasha, the “thirsty” girl from the bank, has now become his consistent, and rather convenient, “love” buddy (if you know what I mean). After Lawrence revealed to Tasha that he recently slept with his ex, she was devastated, but instead of letting him walk away for good, she looked at him in pity, stopped him, and asked, “You hungry?” When have we ever heard Issa ask anything along those lines? I know it’s been a while since season 1, but all I ever remember is her complaining about Lawrence not having a job and everything else under the sun. I get it though. I’m sure it gets frustrating trying to make ends meet by yourself while the one you love is steady chasing a dream, but can we please give it up to Tasha for at least trying to hold him down? 

We over-sexualized Tasha from her very first appearance in the show. I mean, she did come on a little strong and didn’t get a lot of screen time so it was kind of hard to get to know her, but I think we know enough now. She knows Lawrence doesn’t have a real source of income, yet provides him with living space days at a time, encourages the business he’s trying to get off the ground, didn’t trip when she realized he wasn’t ready to be around her family, AND offered him dinner right after getting hurt by him. I feel for Issa, but as much empathy as I’ve been feeling for Lawrence, Tasha sounds like the kind of woman I’d rather see him with. However, I don’t think this is the kind of woman he truly wants to be with, nor is he over Issa. Lawrence is playing a very dangerous game. He’s simply too caring of a person and way too vulnerable to get caught-up with having to deal with Tasha’s feelings. He wants her attention but he knows he’s not ready for all of her. In the end, however long it takes, Tasha’s gonna end up even more hurt. Although I’m expecting it, I’m dreading it, because I’ve really grown to like and appreciate Tasha’s character. 

Let me know your take on this sticky situation in the comment section below and be sure to tune into Insecure every Sunday night at 10:30PM Eastern Time!

My name is Lexi Zàhra. I'm a 22 year old senior at the esteemed Clark Atlanta University where I major in Mass Media Arts with a concentration in radio, television, & film. My interests are in all things art, most importantly music, poetry, and literature. It's an honor to write for Her Campus CAU and I hope you enjoy my content.