Wellness > Sex + Relationships

“How You Get Them Is How You’ll Lose Them”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CAU chapter.

In light of the Khloe Kardashian/Tristan Thompson scandal, I think it is important to focus on a perspective of the story that has not been spoken on in media reports. For those who may not know the couple’s history, Khloe Kardashian is a reality TV show star, through Keeping Up with the Kardashians, Kourtney and Khloe Take Miami and Revenge Body. Khloe is a part of the Kardashian empire (Founded by Kim Kardashian). This has aided her in plenty of mutual business opportunities with her five sisters, as well as business opportunities of her own within the fashion and beauty industry. Tristan Thompson is a professional basketball player for the NBA. He is currently a part of the Cleveland Cavaliers along side a few big name players such as Lebron James.

via @khloekardashian on Instagram

The two celebrities formed a relationship in 2016. Since then, there has been nothing but gorgeous photos of the couple posted on Instagram by both parties. The Kardashians are an open book. Their reality show has been on for 10 years and has allowed the entire world to know them in and out. KUWTK (Keeping Up with the Kardashian’s) has displayed family drama, hardships, heartaches and more. With that being said, Khloe’s seemingly happy relationship was televised as well. Through countless interviews and media coverage, it would be easy to assume that Tristan and Khloe were perfect for each other, even more so when the couple revealed they were expecting a child (Khloe’s first and Tristan’s second). The news of a child is always a pleasant time, especially for a first-time mother. However, when news of her pregnancy was revealed, both Khloe and Tristan were criticized for bringing another child into the world while Tristan had just left his pregnant ex-girlfriend Jordan Craig for Khloe.

via @khloekardashian on Instagram

When news of Tristan cheating on Khloe surfaced on April 10th, followed by video proof and pregnancy allegations, all I could think of was the phrase “how you get them is how you’ll lose them”. The videos at hand are of Tristan kissing and getting physical with three women at a Hookah bar. It can be viewed, here. Since the footage has released, one of the women in the video has claimed to be pregnant with Tristan’s baby and has also posted am alleged sex tape of her and Tristan on Instagram. (@ms.stephaniee) I see that we typically idolize celebrity lifestyles and relationships thanks to Instagram and other social media platforms. While the glitz and glam is cute or whatever we are sometimes blind to the harsh reality of their lives and the problems they face as real people. Khloe facing this issue is heartbreaking, but it should not be a surprise considering Tristan’s track record. While it is unclear if the couple decided to break it off or not, it is clear that Khloe, like any other person in a situation like this, is facing a loss of trust and love.

via TMZ.com

While the whole world is watching this situation unravel and air out, it is vital to see how to learn from this situation. In some monogamous relationships, both parties carry skeletons in their closet form their past. How each person decides to handle those skeletons varies and can be detrimental to their current relationship and current partner. While Tristan seems to carry bad habits and forms toxic relationships with the mothers of his children, it is up to his future partners to see what he’s done and determine how that could possibly affect them. Of course, every relationship won’t be cookie cutter similar, but old habits die hard. “How you get them is how you’ll lose them” is not just a line fed to you by your elders. It’s real life and if that was not clear to anyone before, it should be now. This is a harsh reality everyone can face in their lifetime, rich and famous, or not.

Miranda is a Junior Mass Media Arts Major Print Journalism Concentration at the illustrious Clark Atlanta University. Hailing from Chicago, IL, Miranda is looking to write for the politically conscious, fashion-forward, and everyone in between. Feel free to connect with her via social media as well as through LinkedIn!