Friendships 102: When to End a Friendship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CAU chapter.

“It ain’t nothin’ to cut that ____ off.”

Some relationships are toxic. They might be toxic to your mental, emotional and maybe even spiritual health. There comes a time when those relationships must end. Here are our thoughts on when we would end friendships and why.

1. You’re no longer comfortable around them.

If you feel like you’re walking on eggshells around them, they’re snapping on you about every little thing and you’re just completely uncomfortable.

2. Criticizing more than supporting you.

They find an issue with every little thing you do and don’t congratulate you on your accomplishments.

3. When they only keep you around for their own convenience.

This is pretty much self explanatory. They only value your friendship because it has benefits such as free rides, money, or a companion to attend events with.

4. If they aren’t contributing to your progression.

They aren’t making you a better person; it’s as if they’re bringing you down by being friends.

5. They’re blocking you from your goals.

They doubt your ability to achieve your goals. They don’t think you’ll accomplish certain things because they were unable to accomplish their own goals.

6. Negativity outweighs positivity.

Rather than making you feel better about yourself, they decide to bring you down. It becomes draining to be around them and their constant negativity.

7. Not good enough.

They make you feel as if your values aren’t valid, compare your true self to what they wish you were, make you feel bad because of your circumstances or make you feel unimportant/irrelevant.

8. Too much drama.

Constant arguments, petty disagreements, it all becomes TOO much.

9. If your morals and values don’t align.

Throughout the friendship, they become a different person. Their personalities change for the worse.

10. Communication is off.

You’re not really talking as much as you used to and when you do speak, it isn’t the same. The energy is different and your arguments don’t end with a true resolve. You aren’t able to get your point across to them.

Hello, My name is Carlina Lominy. I am a graduating senior Political Science major at THE Illustrious Clark Atlanta University. I am originally from Ft. Lauderdale, Florida and enjoy reading and writing! You’ll often find me with my head in my books, and/or doing research.
Hi! I'm Aliyah, a Senior Business Administration major with a concentration in marketing from PG County, Maryland. I spend my time watching YouTube videos, Netflix and reading books. I love all things storytelling.