Friendships 101: How to Make Friends

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CAU chapter.

Friends. How many of us have them? Friends.

A friendship isn’t an easy thing to come across. It’s an actual relationship. Time is spent getting to know each other, hanging out and learning what you like or dislike. What do you have in common? What do you like about each other? Here are a couple of tips we put together to keep in mind when looking for friends.

1. Establish the difference between a friend and an acquaintance.

Some people are more long term, while others are just seasonal and those who drift in and out of your life. A friend is someone who is dependable; you can call on them for anything. You don’t have this personal bond with an acquaintance.

2. Find someone with similar interests.

What’s the point in having a friend who doesn’t enjoy the same things as you? It’s cool to have a couple of friends who have other interests, but you want to make sure you both have things in common.

3. Be open minded.

We aren’t always on the same wavelength. Although you want to find someone with similarities as you, you want to find someone who will push you to learn and do new things. You also want them to help you learn more about yourself.

4. Make sure you aren’t friends with someone because of the circumstances.

Can you imagine being friends with that person if you weren’t in a certain organization or situation?

5. Make an effort to be social.

You can’t meet new people if you’re at home binge watching your favorite show every weekend. Go to an event on campus. You might meet someone new.

6. Be yourself and know who you are.

What are your expectations for this friendship? You have to know what your goals are. You can’t conform to someone else’s views to change yourself in order to fit into a standard your friend has set for you.

7. Quality over quantity.

This step is a bit self explanatory. Two genuine friends, rather than twenty-six random people you might wanna call friends.

8. Keep it personal.

You don’t want anyone in your circle who doesn’t care about your well being. You don’t want anyone around you who isn’t happy that you got that job,  aced that test or job or received that position on a team. You don’t want to keep negative energy around.

9. Don’t take it too seriously.

Nobody wants a friend that’s overbearing. We’re trying to be friends, not your children.

10. Don’t count favors.

Do things without expecting something in return. Do things out of the kindness of your heart because you actually love and care for that person.

Hello, My name is Carlina Lominy. I am a graduating senior Political Science major at THE Illustrious Clark Atlanta University. I am originally from Ft. Lauderdale, Florida and enjoy reading and writing! You’ll often find me with my head in my books, and/or doing research.
Hi! I'm Aliyah, a Senior Business Administration major with a concentration in marketing from PG County, Maryland. I spend my time watching YouTube videos, Netflix and reading books. I love all things storytelling.