element5 digital MEzqoN8p6C0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
element5 digital MEzqoN8p6C0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

First Thanksgiving with Your Significant Other’s Family

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CAU chapter.

As you and your significant other have made it to the holidays, it means that you learned that you were not being tricked and the person truly does, from what you see, cares about you! Being in college with a significant other is always exciting especially when it comes to the holidays. You begin to feel grow and start to believe you’re truly in love with the person because you get to join in on the festivities of Thanksgiving with them and their family!

As we all know, Thanksgiving is a huge holiday, right next to Christmas so if your significant other invites you to spend that day with them, you must be serious right? After agreeing to join them on this special day, you start becoming anxious on what you are to wear and how you must act. You have to make a good impression on your if you are ever so fortunate new family. Of course you are already presentable in your significant other’s eyes that’s why you were invited in the first place!

The next thing that we all worry about after our outfit is the amount of family you are meeting, uncle’s, great aunts and great great twice removed grandma’s. What if the food is nasty? What if the family does not approve? Stress is of course brought with such a special holiday. As on movies, this event of meeting the family does not go well! The grandparents are not accepting or do not give you a chance, however we must remember that your reality is not a movie!

When the day finally comes of meeting the family, you are dressed up to par, probably better than your significant other. Looking like a bag of chips, ready for the red carpet! Your personality is A1 like the steak sauce and you’re ready, nothing ever goes perfect so you’re prepared for the worse. “Stop being nervous, you look fine and they are going to love you” is what your significant other is probably constantly reminding you of, however as meeting the family especially on Thanksgiving Is a big deal, you are going to be nervous!

Of course after the evening is over, the day probably went better than expected and you’re not officially that persons significant other in your eyes because you have met the family. A holiday however does not necessarily make you anyone’s official anything because as we all know, a person can treat you wrong and still give you a title! The idea of meeting the family on a special holiday is truly hyped as it can be a positive or a negative. While a person is nervous because it is considered to be a big deal, as portrayed on movies, however as we finally conquer that day, we realize that it was not as bad as we pictured it to be.

Remember as said in the “Trick or Treat” article, you must figure out if that person truly does care about you before you enter the holidays with that person!