Daenerys Targaryen: Mother of Dragons & A True Inspiration

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CAU chapter.

After binge watching six seasons of Game of Thrones in less than a month, I feel qualified enough to declare that Daenerys Targaryen is the most important person on the show. After losing the love of her life, she built an empire out of the ashes she walked out of herself. Here are a few reasons why I admire Khaleesi Daenerys Targaryen.

1. She is Stormborn.

Just for the simple fact that her name is Daenerys Stormborn of House Targaryen is so cool. It’s as if the world knew that someone amazing was finally showing up so the Gods created a storm bigger than ever to welcome her.

2. She is The Mother of Dragons, literally.

She was gifted three dragon eggs after her wedding to Khal Drogo. After his death, Daenerys walked into the flames with the eggs and after the flames burnt out, she sat holding three small dragons that have since grown and began to terrorize.

3. She is The Breaker of Chains.

Daenerys saw her past as her motivation when she freed all of the slaves in multiple cities on her conquest to recapture Westeros. After her first attempt to gain an army, Daenerys was so disgusted with slavery that she began freeing the slaves. She gave them the choice to stand behind her or to live their own lives and most of them chose to stand behind her. She built an army bigger than most with loyal soldiers.

4.She is not a mad ruler.

Every time she has to make decisions as a leader, she thinks about her people. She does not make decisions for herself. Every decision is sensible, meaningful and she tries to learn from her mistakes.

5. Her growth from fragile wife of Khal Drogo into a fearless ruler has been magical.

She lost Drogo, her child and her Dothraki “family” within days. It was hard to watch her at such a low point but she became something greater. She is now the ruler of the Dothraki and many more people than I’m sure she ever imagined.

6. She knows her true potential.

She knew that her brother was not the last dragon and that she was the one true ruler of the Seven Kingdoms. She believed she would rise again after walking into those flames so the least I could do is believe I deserve more than minimum wage in today’s society.

Catch Daenerys and all of her greatness at 10 PM every Sunday on HBO. Winter is here and you don’t want to miss this.

Hi! I'm Aliyah, a Senior Business Administration major with a concentration in marketing from PG County, Maryland. I spend my time watching YouTube videos, Netflix and reading books. I love all things storytelling.