Being “Grown” in the AUC

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CAU chapter.

Every so often, most college students find themselves in a sticky situation that has major affect on their life. Whether its getting caught in mischievous activities, a terrible reaction to hair dye, or worse having to tell your guardians that you. Although the list of is the misue of birth control.After the age of eighteen and being in college, most like to think that birth control is the answer whenever becoming sexually active. As it is only 99.9% effective, that 1% in the AUC has taken a toll. Birth control has become a determining factor within sexual relations within relationships, however as most forget that even with taking the pill correctly and not using a condom, that does not stop from what is written in the fine print! Birth control does not prevent, HIV, STDS etc. yet birth control is the answer, girl what?

While being in the AUC most students do become sexually active and by doing so, higher their risk of catching sexually transmitted diseases and getting pregnant. As some girls worry less about their well-being and more about pleasing their significant other, they lose themselves within someone else. Sex is a huge factor in a college system and effects the dating system tremendously. As it is easy to obtain by just going to the student health center and receiving a prescription for it, it is also not stressed enough to also use condoms! While we are all “grown” as we like to say, we tend to forget that our health is not so grown.

Dating life in the AUC has also taken a toll as we all like to look up to our friends as our parent figures and tend to treat them as if they’re the judging factors within our lives. “Oh I don’t want to be considered a hoe to my friends, so I won’t do that” or “I should run my mouth to my friends so they’ll approve” While many will realize years from now, their friend’s opinion does not matter! It is in the now, that we must realize, being sexually active all depends on one person, if they are ready, then they should not need the approval of anyone else to interact in doing so. Friends are very essential to one’s mindset in staying as we like to say “sane”. However, as we are all growing into different people, many should not depend on others for public approval.

Sex, birth control, being grown, using the correct protection; it all comes with the right mindset! As everyone is different, we all must remember that birth control is an effective manner, however using condoms along with it can be essential especially within the AUC. Having sex with a random partner, without the approval of your friends, is essential! While having your friend’s opinion behind it may be viewed as okay because we all like to know if it is the right thing to do, at the end of the day however, it is your own choice! Dating within the AUC can be tricky as you never know the truth about one because we have all just met within a few year’s time frame, but no one knows yourself better than you do. Use condoms, use birth control be grown! Whatever one decides to do is on themselves, however just remember at the end of the day that the approval of your friends is not imperative and to be health conscious in interacting in such “grown” activities.