The Affects of Our Childhood Favorite Characters Revealed!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CAU chapter.

Most of us grew up watching shows like That’s so Raven, Hannah Montana, and The Suite Life of Zack and Cody that taught us the way of life as a child transitioning into a teenager. Although there are may positives to our childhood favorities, there are also negatives that were picked up throughout the years. We’re talking neck rolls, lying, and major attitudes. which we all witnessed neck rolls, talking back,an attitude. Ever got in trouble for changing out of the clothes you were to school for something cooler?  You can thank your lrading ladies- Raven, Hannah, and Lizzie for that tip. Or what about sneaking out to a party to make “life long memories”  against your parents will? Starting to sound familar with every other Disney show? If you answered yes to any of these question please keep reading to see what other aspects of which many of us were influenced to follow.

The bad attitude of a spoiled brat on Hannah Montana and the rebellion of Zack and Cody became the epitome of how to act as a fourth grader. Even now as young adults, the audience may still be unaware of the disrespect that the actors portray. The television show That’s so Raven is viewed as the “funny black girl on Disney Channel”. The focus of the show was a black family with a daughter who had visions in which the family was supposed as a view into the daily lives of a black family. The bad habits that children picked up from this show was the famous saying “ you nasty” as not every black child had an attitude behind their comedy. Another bad habit would be the way Raven used her visions to change her academics like cheating on tests. As Disney did not think about the children who were absorbing the information, children watched that cheating was okay as long as you knew prior to.

Although we could only dream to have a strong family unit like Penny Proud form the Proud Family,  it was not lpeasing to witness the constant act of bullying Penny recived from the Gross sisters. As viewers, we witness the verbal abuse and many attempts to harm Penny Proud and her friends in several of the episodes.  These acts of bullying could have influenced 

Bad habits were picked up from the childhood shows that we loved and appreciated but now that we are older and able to analyze what we are really watching, it is time to realize that the comedy of the scripts had negative connotations. The writers of the shows used negative stereotypes to appeal to their audience but in return showed their young viewers connotations of ethnicities.