8 Times Beyonce Stopped the World

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CAU chapter.

1. When she went Solo Dolo

Beyoncé going solo in 2003 after being the lead singer of Destiny’s Child was possibly the biggest music industry shift of this time. It’s not like Beyoncé wasn’t all three members of DC…but still! Her first solo album, Dangerously in Love, sold over 11 million copies.

2. She and Jay-Z

She used the “Single Ladies” music video to announce their engagement in 2008, with that HUGE diamond ring. They’ve are such an influential power couple, and have become the world’s first billionaire couple. They are the ultimate definition of grow, glow, and stay on the low. I mean he isn’t my cup of tea but whatever floats your boat, Bey.

3. Blue Blue

And publicized it on national television on the VMA’s in 2011 after performing “Love on Top.” They named their first baby Blue Ivy, a cute little baby girl that haters didn’t seem to believe Beyoncé was really pregnant with.

4. BEYONCE

BEYONCE came out of thin air. Literally, the world was chilling and Beyoncé just decided to change our lives. This was a full blown visual album that gave us our first glance into the lives of the Carters and Beyoncé as a woman. From “Pretty Hurts” to “Rocket” all the way to “Heaven,” BEYONCE goes down as one of the greats.

5. Any performance EVER

Bey is KNOWN for performing. And when I say performing I mean PERFORMING. She couldn’t be basic if she wanted to. So, when her two Super bowl performances got millions and millions of viewers, that was no surprise. And when she performed sets over 10 minutes at the 2014 AND 2016 VMAs, it was beyond lit.

6. The Elevator Fight

“Of course, sometimes sh*t goes down when there’s a billion dollars on the elevator.” Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do and walk off like it didn’t happen. In 2014, Solange beat Jay-Z up in an elevator during the Met Gala while Beyoncé just watched. We all need a sis like Solange.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jhu2I_Luv74

7. LEMONADE

Now THAT’S the tea! And the world hit that collective “Ohhhhhhh,” because now we knew why that sh*t went down on that elevator. Or so we think. This was the second dip into the lives of the Carter’s and the mind of Beyoncé herself as she spilled the tea on infidelity, anger, heartbreak, healing, and black power, showing us that even Beyoncé can get cheated on. This was also a visual album dropped out of thin air, with beautiful visuals, celebrity appearances, and crazy deep spoken word that coexisted with each song.

8. Twinnie Twin Twins!

Queen Bey loves surprises. She kicked off Black History Month like it was a football game, announcing her addition of two little superstars and a full-blown pregnancy photoshoot. The world can’t wait to see the little humans that spring from Bey in a few months or hear what their names will be.

Hi! I'm Taelor Dorsey, a senior Early Childhood Education major with a minor in art from Cleveland, Ohio.