A World Behind Blue Eyes: Review of Anne with an “E”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

I think that just by reading the synopsis no one would straight jump and watch Anne with an “E”.

“After thirteen years of suffering in the welfare system, the orphan Anne is sent to live with a spinster and her brother. Armed with her imagination and her intellect, little Anne will transform the life of her adoptive family and the city that sheltered her, fighting for her acceptance and for her place in the world. “

By the way, what’s more about a girl who was adopted and her story from there? But what we don’t expect is that Anne brings, along with her luggage, camouflaged in her red locks, an imagination that few know how to appreciate. 

A mouth that does not shut up, a restless mind and a smile on the face is what make Anne a great character. She will use this whole package of happiness and energy to convince Marilla Cuthbert (Geraldine James) and her brother Matthew Cuthbert (R.H. Thomson) to stay with her, because the brothers were expecting a boy.

What caught my attention at first, and I believe the majority of other viewer as well, are the vibrant colors that the photos show. When we open the portal of Netflix and we come across brown, yellow and reddish tones, we feel the impact it causes, the feeling of warmth. The leaves and butterflies give a special detail to the photographic scene.

Then, when we choose Anne among millions of other series, we see that the girl’s joy is in constant contrast to her new home, Green Gables. A dark, wintry grayscale set tries to cover up the girl, but her ginger hair and large blue eyes always find a glow even in the dark. When the relationship with the “new parents” begins to improve, the colors in Green Gable begin to lighten.

One of the factors that may have helped people choose this little 8-episode series is Anne’s phrase in the trailer, where she tries to claim that she can be useful to her new adoptive parents.

“Girls can do anything a boy does, and more.”

This phrase by itself already brings the feminist essence of the character, even if at the time, 19th century, that attitude had no name. In all the scenes, Anne shows a strong personality, does not let any boy provoke her and proves to be as useful in the farm as in the school.

In addition, “Anne with an E” is a serie full of stories and imagination, an artifice of the young girl to mask the harsh reality that suffers and that has suffered throughout life. Princess Cordelia is her incarnation of royalty and in her mind she lives in a big castle in the city she loves so much. At school, however, Anne needs to live with reality: she is an adopted orphan, not rich and new in a small town. Even with a smile on her face, trying to make a good impression, she ends up suffering from her classmates jokes.

Anything for her is cause for joy and stories. A tree with beautiful white flowers, a little house built in the remote part of the forest near her house. She is a big fan of books and we can see through the speeches of the character, always beautiful and well-articulated, with difficult words, but that do not stop the girl from keep speaking. I believe it was very difficult for Amybeth McNulty to memorize those lines.

For the joy of all, “Anne with an E”, with screenplay and production of Moira Walley-Beckett, already has second season confimed by Netflix.

“It’s not wonderful that every day can be a new adventure.”

Rhaisa Trombini

Casper Libero '19

Journalism student in love with writing. Books are part of who I am and my favorite is "The NeverEnding Story". I love animals, have a guinea pig call Annabeth and I'm an animal activist.
Alana Claro

Casper Libero '17

Alana is a Senior in Cásper Líbero University, majoring in Journalism. She is President of Casper Libero's Chapter and an intern in a Corporate Communications firm. Born and raised in Sao Paulo, where she speaks Portuguese, although English is her ever-lasting love. Alana is a proud Slytherin and INTJ.