Say Cheese! Meet 6 Casperians Who Love Photography

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

1. Karen dos Santos Ortega: 18 years old, Public Relations student 

HC: When did you discover your interest for photography?

Karen: I think it was a natural thing, everyone in my family love to take photos and I had the opportunity to travel a lot, so I always had a great contact with photography. I also went out in São Paulo to take photos, and since I was little (when I won my first camera) I take many photos.

HC: What are your favorite places to photograph? Do you like to photograph landscapes or people?

Karen: I prefer open sky places, but they are more difficult because it depends on the weather. However, I like it because they have a natural light. Between landscapes and people, I prefer to photograph people. I think that we have a greater connection, you know? We identify with being in front of the the camera. But even so, I really like landscapes and their sensation of freedom and belonging.  

HC: Do you intend to work as a photographer in the future?  

Karen: I want to!

Photo: Karen dos Santos

2. Eduarda D’Amore Rezende: 19 years old, Publicity & Advertising student 

Eduarda has an Instagram dedicated to photography: @dudadamorefotografia

Eduarda: I started to be interested for photography because of my grandpa. My uncle gave him a professional camera, so I took his camera (with 14 years old) and I started to photograph the landscapes, my house, my dog. I started to fall in love with photography from that moment. When I finished high school, I made a professionalizing course and today I am a professional photographer. 

Eduarda: I really like to photograph in parks. I’ve already done a shooting with a couple of friends in the Villa Lobos park and I really liked it. I like to shoot in parks because it has green, it ends up having more colors. But I already did a photoshoot with my cousin in Beco do Batman (Vila Madalena) and i liked it too. 

HC: Do you intend to work as a photographer too?

Eduarda: Indeed, I already work on this, cause I made the course. I had in mind that we should always make what we like. I already work with photography, but I hope to achieve later more than I already have today.

Photo: Eduarda D’Amore

3. Alessandra Araújo: 19 years old, Public Relations student 

Alessandra: I discovered photography when my parents decided to buy a small camera, that kind of cyber shot from Sony, when I was 12. As it was new for me, I was impressed, so I took photos of whatever I saw. I was looking one day at the photos that I took with 12 years and although they were shaky and strange, I could see that in that time I already had a keen perception for photography. 

HC: What are your favorite places to photograph? Do you like to photograph landscapes or people?

Alessandra: I like the field, the city, and also places with natural light. I really like both types, but I shoot more landscape

Alessandra: It’s just a hobby. Only a few jobs, maybe. 

Photo: Alessandra Araújo

4. Larissa Basílio: 21 years old, Journalism student 

Larissa: When I was about 15 years old, a friend started photographing and I started to get interested. I started to get interested and bought an instant camera to start taking photos.

Larissa: Landscapes. I really like shooting urban elements, you know? Graffiti, buildings, historic buildings. But recently I have developed a very special affection for shooting shows and events and it has been really nice.

Larissa: I don’t know if I want to work with this now, but I graduated in photography from Belas Artes College, so I had contact with freelances and I had experience. But I feel that for my desire to have something more, I ended up looking for journalism, because of the portrait of reality.

Photo: Larissa Basílio

5. Manuela Stelzer: 19 years old, Journalism student 

Manuela: My interest came in 2014/2015 when I was in high school. I had two friends who introduced me to the world of photography, because they always photographed and I really enjoyed their photos. At Christmas, I asked for a camera for my parents and each one of my family gave me a bit of money. I never did a course, but as these friends did they were helping me and I was also learning on my own with practice.

HC: Which are your favorite places to photograph? Do you like to photograph landscapes or people?

Manuela: I have a very strong link with the beach and you will never see me going to the beach without my camera. Because there it has a very different energy from what you photograph anywhere else. It depends a lot, but in general the places that I like to photograph are the places that I like to be. I like to photograph life! Regardless if they are landscapes or they are people. In 2013 I did a project called Essence with my friends, in which we photographed people with the intention of empowering them, so that they would recognize themselves as they are and like what they saw.

Manuela: I do not know if I want to, but there is a wish, a dream, a giant passion to make it happen. I even chose journalism thinking about this. Event though I always enjoyed writing, one of my main hobbies was photography and I could use it in my profession.

Photo: Manuela Stelzer

6. Aline Oliveira: 19 years old, Journalism student 

Aline: My father has worked with photography since I was little and I always enjoyed being photographed. I was growing up and wanted to do what he did. I wanted to know and learn more. In addition, I always liked to take pictures, regardless of the camera type, and always liked to reveal photos – as well and the concept of the photo to freeze the moment, making it eternal.

Aline: I like shooting sunsets and sunrises, but I also really like to take pictures of people. I like to show them a personal point of view that they do not know, so they learn to love themselves. I like to do this kind of rehearsal with girls somewhere they feel comfortable or have something to do with them. I like photos mainly with nature.

Aline: I do freelances and also have done weddings, but I would like to bring photography to journalism, which are my two passions! Maybe a career in photojournalism, who knows?

Photo: Aline Oliveira

Public Relations student and collaborator here at Her Campus.
Giovanna Pascucci

Casper Libero '22

Estudante de Relações Públicas na Faculdade Cásper Líbero que ama animais e falar sobre séries.