On Language Differences: Review of Arrival

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

Let’s start this review by saying that I am not a huge fan of movie with alien. At all. Nor zumbies, to be very honest. But once I saw the trailer for Amy Adams new movie, Arrival, I knew I had to watched.

The Arrival goes back and forth between the flashbacks of linguistics specialist, Louise Banks life with her daughter Hannah and her current life, when an alien shell arrives in the plains of Montana and other 11 locations throughout the world. As a linguistic, Banks’ help is demanded by the military that although having access to the aliens inside the shell, cannot communicate in anyway with them. It is Louise’s job, along with theoretical physics Ian Donnely to identificate what is the aliens purpose on Earth.

It is a great film, because it focuses not on alien life and alien invasions, but on how communication issues can be catalysts of war or peace. For communications professionals, it is truly inspiring to see Amy Adams characters jumping through all possible problems that an ambiguos word or phrases may lead. 

Alana Claro

Casper Libero '17

Alana is a Senior in Cásper Líbero University, majoring in Journalism. She is President of Casper Libero's Chapter and an intern in a Corporate Communications firm. Born and raised in Sao Paulo, where she speaks Portuguese, although English is her ever-lasting love. Alana is a proud Slytherin and INTJ.