Interview With Luiza Bortolatto About Her Book “SP e Seus Planos” (Sao Paulo and Its Plans)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

Luiza Bortolatto is a Brazilian student of Advertising, who is only 19 years old and released her first book of poetry about the city that she loves and lives in, São Paulo.

The launch took place at a bar in Consolação Street, an important street of the city, with the presence of many relatives, friends and important names of the current art. 

Mariana Chiarelli: First of all, I’d like to congratulate you for this, and now I’d like  you tell us about “SP e seus planos”, its contents and where did your inspiration came from to create it.

Luiza Bortolatto: First of all, I want to thank you. In fact, my inspiration was just a formalization of what I always did. I always wrote about streets. Many things I keep for myself. These things that I put on the streets, are not taken seriously, and the book was a formal way of keeping what I do. I opt for urban themes, as violence, work, economy, human relationships and art.

MC: How do you feel about having a book published in so early age?

LB: As I said, in my point of view it’s not a big deal, it was a formalization. But obviously that it is super cool because there’s not many people doing it.

MC: How this opportunity came about?

LB: One day talking with a friend of my father and a professor of mine in college who was accompanying my personal projects outside the student environment (who was partner of the publishing company that produced my book), introduced me to his current partner and we talked about what I wanted, the kind of writing, values, materials terms and layout. Then, I compared the publishing companies, deadlines and prices. It was very simple and quick to do.

MC: How do you see yourself in the future? Do you intend to release another book?

LB: I really don’t know. In this format I released, of a poetry per page, I don’t think so, but maybe in another one, for example, with pictures of the things on the streets which I write, I think it would be interesting.

MC: So besides doing poetry, Do you have others works? Tell us more about them.

LB: Yes, yes. Actually, I write in different formats. There’s the “Recorte inteligente” where I cut out words from printed media and make phrases by myself, there’s “Saudade que vira arte”, where I also write phrases on the streets, in abandoned objects, on authorized walls on houses and business houses. I still want to write other formats, like narratives and ways of expressing my words and feelings.

MC: As the book talks about SP, tell us what catches your attention the most in the city.

LB: There’s a page in my book that says exactly this, where I show that everyone contributes with something, and find people who have an identification with us is very beautiful.

MC: Who inspired you to carry out your work?

LB: I don’t have a specific inspiration, but in graffiti I really like Rafael Sliks, I talk about him with everyone, because he was able to catch what is seen in SP like a bad graffiti and turn it in something commercially accepted and very valuable in others countries, he is in many galleries, because he doesn’t do just letters but wonderful pictures as well. I want to learn with him and value what I do.  On writing, I like very much Fábio Chap. He was super sympathetic when I invited him for the event, but he couldn’t come. Rappers inspire me too, because they do their own music, have a reality with no filters, they really want to say, that’s it.

MC: What message did you get from SP and how can you transmit it for other people?

LB: My book “SP e seus planos” takes this name because I hate fiction, so I wanted to write about something that I know, that I live. I live in SP, but the things I wrote can happen in other cities. The way I see the city, for sure, is different from yours or who is reading. In the beginning of the book, this is said, exactly this, the matter about you love or hate SP, depends on what you choose to see, and I think we must allow ourselves to see other things, not just good, not just bad. I’ve done some phrases about SP and one of them is “Protagonist of irregular scenes”. So, we have to realize that the city is a daily uncertainty.

MC: To finalize, did the release meet your expectations? Did you feel yourself fulfilled?

LB: Yes, I liked very much. Many beloved people couldn’t go because they’ve had already another appointment. All of them, however, were very interested. The event was over at midnight, and at three in the morning I got messages from people saying that they have already finished reading the book, telling they liked very much and repeating phrases they identified themselves with. But it was very cool, the people, the food, the venue, the whole reception.

Luiza signing her books

Luiza and Mariana at the event

I'm currently studying Advertising at the University of Cásper Líbero and volunteering with needy children since 2011. I always looked for new paths to increase my repertory, as dance, sports, theater and writing (something that I love to do).
Giovanna Pascucci

Casper Libero '22

Estudante de Relações Públicas na Faculdade Cásper Líbero que ama animais e falar sobre séries.