Horror Movies Based on Ed and Lorraine Warren’s Paranormal Files

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

I am sure that the horror genre fans already watched a few movies based on Ed and Lorraine Warren’s paranormal stories. But, if you have no idea who this couple is, you should know a little about their story.

Ed and Lorraine are american paranormal investigators and authors. Their files about prominent cases of hauntings became books and they built their fame because of those cases. Ed was a World War II United States Navy veteran and former police officer who became a self-taught and self-professed demonologist, author and lecturer. Lorraine professes to be clairvoyant and a light trance medium who worked closely with her husband. Together, they claimed to have worked on more than 10 thousand paranormal cases.

Credits: The Line Up

Their haunted stories became popular and attracted the attention of Hollywood. Some cases have been adapted, or have indirectly inspired, dozen of films, television series and documentaries. Among with all The Amityville Horror movies, the most famous adaptations are The Conjuring 1 and 2, the spinoff Annabelle and Annabelle: Creation. The success of these films is due to the direct or indirect representation of the Warrens: Patrick Wilson as Ed Warren and Vera Farmiga as Lorraine Warren.

Now, if you were interested in this investigators and believe in paranormal activities, read a little about the Hollywood’s successful adaptations – without spoilers, of course – knowing that the words “based on a true story” in the opening credits are real!

The Conjuring (2013)

Credits: HBO

In 1971, Carolyn and Roger Perron move into a dilapidated Rhode Island farm house with their five daughters. Inexplicably, strange events start to scare the children, the father, and especially the mother. In desperation, Carolyn contacts the noted paranormal investigators, Ed and Lorraine Warren, to examine the house. In the beginning, the couple did not believe in Carolyn’s story but accepted the invitation. But when they begin to analyze the place, they realize that there’s something very powerful and demonic residing there. Now they need to find out what’s going on with that place. It is at that moment that the demonic entity begins to reveal itself and show what it is capable of.

It’s in The Conjuring that we see the doll Annabelle for the first time. After the success of the film is made a spin off about the doll in the next year.

Annabelle (2014)

Credits: Omelete

John Form has found a perfect gift for his expectant wife, Mia. He bought her a rare, vintage doll. But the story of this couple does not have a happy ending. On a horrible night, his house is invaded by members of a satanic cult, who violently attack the couple. The cultists conjured up such a malevolent entity and use the Annabelle doll container for that evil.

For many fans, Annabelle did not reach the quality reached by The Conjuring. But that was no problem. The Conjuring 2 was already on its way and the story of the demoniac doll would not be forgotten.

The Conjuring 2 (2016)

Credits: EW

In this new plot, the Warrens returned with a new paranormal case. In 1977, Ed e Lorraine travel to London, England, where single mother of four, Peggy Hodgson, believes that something evil is in her home. The horror begins when the youngest daughter starts showing signs of demonic possession. Ed and Lorraine attempt to help the girl get rid of these evil spirits.

Among the supernatural appearances in the film we met The Nun and The Crooked Man that in the future will have solo movies. Another spin offs, like Annabelle.

Annabelle: Creation (2017)

Credits: EW

In this movie, we’ll know the real story of the doll. A dollmaker and his wife lost their daughter in a tragic accident. 12 years after, the couple welcome a nun and several girls from a shuttered orphanage into their home, but the past come back to torment the residents of the house. At this moment, the dollmaker and his wife must face their creation: Annabelle.

It’s been awhile since the movie debuted in theaters but it has already caused lots of fear. Unlike the first one, it seems that this movie has a chance to be as successful as The Conjuring.

Futures movies

And the success of Ed and Lorraine Warren in theaters does not stop. Two more spin offs are already under way, as well as the third sequence of The Conjuring. The Nun tells the origin of Valak Demon Nun, which has given a lot of work to paranormal investigators. This is the next feature, scheduled for July 2018.

Credits: Observatório do Cinema

The second spin off is about The Crooked Man, who, like The Nun, had an appearance in The Conjuring 2. It still has no official synopsis and no release date. The character of The Crooked Man has been adapted several times, usually as a slim and bizarre figure.

Credits: Bloody Disgusting

Finally, actors Patrick Wilson and Vera Farmiga will return to theaters with The Conjuring 3. Until now, the plot is being kept in mystery, but will be based on some real case of research done by the couple in the 80’s, following the formula of success used since the first movie.

I'm a Journalism student at Casper Libero University and intend to be a great professional in the field. But while that does not happen, I spend my time writing texts, dreaming of success, gossiping with my friends and watching Netflix. I've lived in São Paulo my whole life, but I can't wait to travel the world. I have a big passion for movies, pop culture, books and pink. If you see me around, talk with me about movie premiere, new series or gossip. What Can I do? I'm Gemini and I can't control my communicative and curious side.
Giovanna Pascucci

Casper Libero '22

Estudante de Relações Públicas na Faculdade Cásper Líbero que ama animais e falar sobre séries.