Challenging Communication: Meet Patricia Salvatori

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

Zodiac sign: Sagittarius

Classes you teach in Cásper: Theory and Techniques of Public Relations, for the first years, and Management of Intern Communication, for the third years.

A book and an author that you indicate to a student: Cicília Peruzzo and her book “Public Relations in the capitalist production mode”

Nickname: Pati or Piti (by my family)

Favorite color: Red

Favorite food: Pizza! (It was a difficult question)

A passion: To give classes

An animal: Puppies (my Yorkshire)

A desire: A world more inclusive

Year you graduated in Cásper: 1995

Postgraduate at Cásper: 2001/2002

For how long have you been working at Cásper: For four years

Pati, why Public Relations? And when were you sure about your choice?

I am going to tell you a secret: Public Relations was not my first choice. My first major choice was Journalism, not here at Cásper, but at PUC. I did it for two years and I hated it. I hated everything… the university, the course, everything! And Journalism was really my dream, before all that. Actually, my parents, in that moment, were really against me. My father used to say: “Daughter, you should go to Medical school or Law school… you should do something that can give you the possibility to become a teacher in the future.” [Laughs] And I thought this idea was an absurd! But now I am here, after 25 years, giving classes, which was one of my father’s greatest delights.

Well, after two years of Journalism, studying in a very difficult period for PUC, and experiencing many strikes and just a few classes, I felt very disappointed and realized that was not what I wanted. Then, I gave up and started to look for other options. I have always appreciated the Communication area and like most of the students, I did not know what Public Relations was really about. Imagine this in 1992, so many years ago! I decided to try. Since Journalism was not right, I decided to try PR. And in the moment I began to study at Cásper, I realized I have made the right decision. I really identified myself with the course, with all the disciplines, with the place… with everything. And by coincidence, the discipline that gave me all the passion was Theory and Techniques of PR, the first discipline I gave a class about.

And after that, since my first years as a PR student, I find a press office internship and ended up working in agencies during my four years of college. By the end of my senior/fourth year, I was made a permanent employee. There is no way back. But I spent all period in college working in agencies and felt the need to know the companies side. There, I spent 20 years of my life. Well, the confirmation came very soon. Just like the certainty I did not like Journalism.

What’s the biggest learning did you have while working with public relations until now?

Talking about 20 years working as a PR, I cannot say only one learning, but many in all this time. I think, while here, in college, we create some utopias and when we go outside, to the world, we end up very disappointed, because you start to face some unreachable challenges.

In theory, we learn such beautiful things that we are not really able to put them in practice. But I think it is fundamental that we remember that it is always possible to make a difference.  It always possible to change something, even if you do not believe in that. Well, if it is a lost case, OK, turn the page, but sometimes just the act of trying makes the difference. Do not low your head, do not give in. We have to act according to our values, because this area that we have chosen requires word and values together. Firstly, for all the professional problems we could have, like reputation, and secondly, because we do not sleep. There is nothing better in this life than to put your head on the pillow and be able to sleep.

Why Cásper Líbero as a student and now, as a teacher and researcher?

Besides the fact that in that moment Cásper had already a good reputation in the Communication area, what really made me choose it was its location. I have always had a big passion for Paulista. [Laughs]

And, well… Cásper has something that can enchant the students in these four years of friendship and learning. So, when I left Cásper, I left with a deep love and with the feeling that I would come back. And some years ahead, I came back for my Post-Graduation.

During the Post-Grad, some people told to me I had the abilities to teach. In that moment, I thought it was impossible, because I was much inserted in the market. In 2012, I had this reflexive moment in my life and started to question myself about what I have been doing for the past 20 years, if the values of the corporative world and its model nowadays are connected with the way I am and live. Because, after all, Communication does not do miracles, the companies have to help.

So, there was a moment I was very sad in going to do something I did not see a value and left my daughter at home, for example.

I decided to change. And it was my husband who told to me go after my old dream to become a teacher. And the light came! [Laughs] Obviously! Then, I looked for a Master’s degree and enrolled myself into ECA’s (University of São Paulo) program. In a week, I had to create a research project and take a test. And I talked a lot with a friend in the area and he encouraged me to try, but also recommended a sabbatical year. Well, I was approved in ECA. And it seems since I entered in the Master program, everything worked naturally.

After three months, there was a contest here, at Cásper, I tried, and of course, I failed because there were more qualified people. The person who was approved ended up giving only three months of classes and had to move to another state. Then, Sérgio Andreucci called me giving a problem and an opportunity. I accepted the opportunity. And to give classes at Cásper was not an employment, but a dream that came true. Since that time, everything was very fast. In the next year, I had my second discipline and then, the supervision of the conclusion papers. With the ending of Sérgio’s mandate as the coordinator, the disinterest of his vice, Ethel, in taking this position, and the belief in my profile for the role, I accepted the challenge and all went well.

What are the greatest challenges in conciliate your professional life with your life as a mom?

One thing that really helps me is the fact that my husband also works is the Communication area, he is an art director, and he has a flexible time, working at home. Working at Cásper is really good for me, because I have a flexible time too. I just work here and even assuming other responsibilities, I’m able to take and seek my daughter from school, have lunch with her and create a more flexible schedule. So, for example, I have free mornings and afternoons during the week. And if I were in the market, I won’t be able to have this situation.

How do you feel as the new Public Relations Coordinator? And what are the challenges do you believe you will have to face?

I am very happy! I think this is an incredible opportunity to contribute and continue with amazing things that have already started at the Coordination during the past few years. The PR Coordinator changed a lot, from an old model to a humanist view, improving its communication and approximation with all its stakeholders… which is very good. And, of course, this can’t stop, it is a progressive and improved construction.

One of the greatest challenges that we already face are the generational differences. How can we deal, in a good way, with so young students, with different profiles, with other communication formats and peculiarities? That is something we need to work and adapt.

Natália Fujiki

Casper Libero

Half japanese girl, 22 years old, public relations student, basketball player, Nutella-music-beach lover, adventuress person and faithful to the good side of life.
Giovanna Pascucci

Casper Libero '22

Estudante de Relações Públicas na Faculdade Cásper Líbero que ama animais e falar sobre séries.