Career Tips from the Big Bosses of the Fashion Journalism Industry

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

“Fashion is a culture, just like cinema or music. When you start to like it? One doesn’t know. Fashion is how you relate to people, how you leave your home. It’s something one never loses. It’s like listening to music: your musical choices are just like your fashion choices.” – Daniela Falcão, editor-in-chief of Vogue Brasil

On the past week, Cásper Líbero had its 23rd Journalism Week, filled with big names of the industry on several interesting topics. Thursday morning’s lecture, about Fashion Journalism, had two of the most important fashion journalists in Brazil: Daniela Falcão, the Brazilian Vogue editor-in-chief, and Camila Yahn, content editor of FFW Fashion Forward. The ones who watched it were lucky to be captivated by their motivational stories. If you weren’t able to make it, check out the event highlights of what we can learn from them (whether you want to pursue a career in fashion or not, these are great value career tips to take for life!):

1)   It doesn’t mean you need to know now everything about fashion if you want to work with it in the future.Daniela and Camila didn’t start off their careers working in the industry – fashion was far from the first topic that crossed their minds. Every decision they made through the building process led them to where they are now. Never close doors to the opportunities which may come your way – you’ll never know where they will lead you! You may be a political journalist today, and a fashion editor tomorrow.

2)   Practice makes it perfectBoth editors agree on this famous phrase, and they suggest that the best way to practice is creating a blog – today simplest and most efficient tool for writers. “Be yourself, that’s the charm behind blogs. It’s a space to learn from your mistakes, since your have the freedom to do whatever you want to”.

3) Be curious and do your partA journalism student needs to be curious. Nowadays, there is so much information on the web that makes it easier learning new things and getting access to the information you’re interested on. “There’s so many people willing to work, but only a few are well informed”, adds Daniela.

4) Know what makes you differentAccording to Daniela and Camila, a fashion journalist needs to know a little bit about everything, especially when it comes to music, cinema and literature. Good writing is a must, as well as a very strong cultural knowledge. Your specialty topic will be built alongside to that.

5) Magazines are not going to dieAs journalism students, we are tired of hearing how the internet is taking over the world and there will be no magazines in a near future, right when we will be taking our first steps on the industry.  Daniela gives us a light of hope: the internet and social media will immortalize the magazines, not kill them”. They are a fun way to create a free sample for those who aren’t readers of the magazine just yet – but, never, ever will they be a replacer.

I'm a journalism student at Cásper Líbero University and the fashion editor of Her Campus Cásper's Chapter.  My biggest dream is to travel the world and to be a poliglot!
Alana Claro

Casper Libero '17

Alana is a Senior in Cásper Líbero University, majoring in Journalism. She is President of Casper Libero's Chapter and an intern in a Corporate Communications firm. Born and raised in Sao Paulo, where she speaks Portuguese, although English is her ever-lasting love. Alana is a proud Slytherin and INTJ.