8 Movies To Watch If You Like Teen Drama (And Wanna Cry)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

You had a bad day, fought with your boyfriend or girlfriend, or just want to lay in bed and cry with a drama movie? So this list is perfect for you! Pick up the ice cream and let the tears come down.

Movies To Watch If You Like Teen Drama

1. The Last Song  

Image Source: IMDb

Ronnie (Miley Cyrus) is a girl who has some troubles, especially with her dad, but things can change when she needs to spend all summer with him and her brother. In this summer, she will be able to try to love her father again, and also, find a love. The movie is not a cliche – in my opinion – because it mix a problematic father and daughter relationship with a romance that we wall love and also give you a lesson about values. 

2. A Walk to Remember 

Image Source: IMDb

He is rich, the most popular guy at school, don’t care about anything and doesn’t have faith. She is a simple girl, excluded at school, worried about her future and is the church reverend’s daughter. Being totally opposites, Landon (Shane West) and Jamie’s (Mandy Moore) paths were never supposed to cross, except for one thing: Landon is punished for making a tasteless joke which ends up in an serious accident and, as a punishment, he has to help in a play’s production, getting closer to Jamie. What seems to be a totally cliche, ‘Popular boy with no-friends girl’, has a plot twist that changes everything. 

3. Era Uma Vez  

Image Source: Globo Filmes

Valuing Brazilian cinema, we have ‘Era Uma Vez’. Dé (Thiago Martins) is a poor guy, born and raised in Cantalago’s favela, at Rio de Janeiro, wishing to live an honest life, he works at Ipanema’s beach selling coconut water, in this way, he always sees Nina (Vitória Frate), a rich girl. They fall in love and live a ‘Romeo and Juliet’ story. Being from different worlds and with no family support, the couple will have a lot of troubles to go through. The love between Nina and Dé is so real and beautiful that you can feel it, and Thiago has an impeccable performance. 

4. Love, Rosie  

Image Source: IMDb

Alex (Sam Claflin) and Rosie (Lily Collins) are best friends since childhood, doing everything together. But things starts to change when something happen at her 18’s birthday party and Rosie doesn’t remember it. After that, she has a big trouble at prom night. Alex is accepted at Harvard, and Rosie at Boston University, but she can’t go. From there on, secrets starts to appear and their friendship become unstable. Between comings and goings, some argues and good moments, Alex and Rosie will fight for their friendship, but what if they are not just friends?

5. Me Before You

Image Source: IMDb

Louisa Clark (Emilia Clarke) is a happy and extroverted woman, always seeing good in everything – sometimes she can even act like a child, but has a enormous and pretty heart. Will Traynor (Sam Claflin) is totally the opposite, after suffering a serious accident and becoming tetraplegic, he can’t see any happiness in life anymore and turned himself in a grouchy man. Louisa starts to work for Will helping him with daily routine and taking care of him, and their relation can bring many and different learnings for both of them. 

6. The Fault in Our Stars  

Image Source: IMDb

You probably watched this movie, but if you don’t, you really should! Hazel (Shailene Woodley) has a terminal cancer in the lungs and is obliged to attend a support group, where she meets Augustus (Ansel Elgort), who had a malignant osseous tumor. Together, they will learn the meaning of friend and partnership, complicity and also love. It is impossible not to cry watching this film, a beautiful story of love and the value of life.

7. The Vow 

Image Source: IMDb

Based on a real history, Paige (Rachel Mcadams) and Leo (Channing Tatum) are a lovely couple which have a normal life, until they get in a car accident, Paige falls into a coma and wakes up with no memories at all. Leo keeps trying to make her remember him and their story, what is really painful to him. Being able to feel Leo’s love and pain, you get involved with the story, cheering for Paige to remember him or even to fall in love again!

8. If I Stay 

Image Source: IMDb

Mia Hall (Chloë Grace Moretz) is a ordinary girl worried about finding a love and with her future in college, but after an accident with her family, Mia’s life will completely change. Between life and death, Mia will have to decide if she stays or leave this world. The film is so beautiful talking about different kinds of love, not only focusing on the main couple but giving space to family and friends’s love. 

Bárbara Moura

Casper Libero '21

Caiçara, nascida e criada em Santos hoje vivo na loucura de São Pauloa atrás do sonho de contar e conhecer novas histórias.
Giovanna Pascucci

Casper Libero '22

Estudante de Relações Públicas na Faculdade Cásper Líbero que ama animais e falar sobre séries.