7 Types of Feminine Birth Control Method

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.
  1.  Female Condom

The condoms, in such a way feminine or masculine, have been the first option of contraception. It not only prevents against the pregnancy, as well as the sexually transmissible illnesses (STI). Although the masculine’s one are more known and used, the feminine ones are even cheap and have almost the same protection index.

Letícia Vaz was a Casper Libero’s student, 19 years old, and she defines her impression about this option:

Pros: With this method, you can prevent STIs in a cheap and easy way, in addition to pregnancy, and you can find the condoms in any pharmacy.

Cons: Sometimes using the condom can be embarrassing or uncomfortable – especially at the time of placing.

2 – Diaphragm

This method comes in a format of small flexible ring covered by a layer of rubber or silicone, that is placed inside of the vagina to block the entrance of spermatozoa in the uterus. It is necessary to consult a gynecologist to know which option is better for each organism.

In advantages and disadvantages, Carolina Murata, 20 years, tell us about her experience:

Pros: It is very favorable for who has problems and historic of breast cancer, once it doesn’t alter the hormonal system.

Cons: It needs to be kept inside of the vagina by 6 hours after the sexual relation, which offers more risks of urinary infection.

3 – Birth Control Pills

There are several types of this hormonal pills for women to choose which fits best to their own body, from single progesterone to a combination of estrogen and progesterone. It acts on your hormonal system by inhibiting ovulation.

From the experience of Nataly Paschoal, a Casper’s journalist student, 21 years old, we have selected some of the main pros and cons:

Pros: In addition to regulating the body and favoring contraception, the method also helps to greatly improve PMS and colic. 

Cons: During the period of adaptation, she says she suffered a lot in choosing the brand because she had many headaches and frequent nausea.

4 – Vaginal Ring  

The vaginal ring is also a hormonal method that contains estrogen and progesterone, like the pills, but doesn’t need to be ingested every day. The ring is a small flexible device placed inside of the vagina, and must be changed every 3 weeks.

Isabelle Caldeira, 20 years, a Casper’s journalist student too, give us her opinion about the ring:

Pros: The ring is a very simple and practical method to be used. Being small, like the size of a condom, it is comfortable to use and put it, and did not bring any harm.

Cons: Unlike contraceptive pills, the ring does not prevent cramps and menstrual pain.

5 – Birth Control Shot

Injection of progesterone into the arm can prevent pregnancy over a period of three months. It blocks ovulation, making it harder for sperm to travel because of the increased cervical mucus.

Luísa Godoy, 22 years old, tell us her opinion about the method:

Pros: When it is done by a professional, the chances of pregnancy are less than 1%, in addition to preventing uterine cancer.

Cons: Injection may cause irregular bleeding, especially during the first six months.

6 – IUD Birth Control – Ultra Interim Device

The IUD birth control is a T-shaped intrauterine device that is inserted into the uterus by your doctor. You can choose between what contains copper or the progesterone hormone. Currently, the market is producing much more practical and safe models, as the interviewee tells us.

Cecília Salazar, 49 years old, tells us a bit about what happened to her after the use:

Pros: The biggest one is to be a long-term birth control method. The copper version can last from 5 to 10 years. Already the hormonal lasts 5 years. It is protection for a long time. Cons: At the beginning of use you may feel some cramps. In addition, it may be a more expensive method.  

7 – Birth Control Implant

A piece of plastic is inserted by your doctor under the skin of the arm. It can prevent pregnancy for three years.

Roberta Bernardo, 24 years old, tried the method once, and tell us her opinion:

Pros: Once inserted, there is no need to worry about pregnancy for three years. The method is invisible on the outside and is as effective as the IUD.

Cons: Most women have irregular bleeding over the first year.

Giovanna Pascucci

Casper Libero '22

Estudante de Relações Públicas na Faculdade Cásper Líbero que ama animais e falar sobre séries.