5 Books to Read if You Want to Work in Fashion

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

From histories and biographies to coffee table books, there are many terrific books about fashion. If you’re seeking to gain a broad understanding of the fashion industry and how it works, these titles can offer a broad overview of the forces shaping today’s fashion system, from profit margins to celebrity marketing – as well as those that capture a specific decade of the subject. 

Reading about the fashion world and understanding how it began, knowing the history of the great names of haute couture and the real meaning of terms is essential for those who wants to work in the area – and also for those who enjoy it as a hobby.

Are you interested in the fashion area? Have a look at this list of absolute must-read books!

1. “Dior by Dior: The Autobiography of Christian Dior”

Essential to understand the history and process of french couture of the 1950s, this autobiography gives fascinating and detailed insight into the working of a great fashion house, while revealing the private man behind the high-profile establishment – Dior details his childhood in Granville, his family and friends, his most difficult years and sudden success, as well as his sources of inspiration and creative processes.

2. “Fashion A to Z: An Illustrated Dictionary”, by Alex Newman and Zakee Shariff

This is a must-have to develop one’s vocabulary and visual acumen! The book contains more than two thousand fashion entries, new and updated definitions about clothes, accessories, sewing techniques, manufacturing processes and typical terms of industry, besides fashion cultural and historical curiosities. It covers fashion history since antiquity until today, helping us to understand more about the fashion world.

3. “The Chronology of Fashion: From Empire Dress to Ethical Design”, by N.J. Stevenson

This book brings us iconic looks, from high couture to prêt-à-porter. N.J. Stevenson brings the fashion history of the late 18th century: from Marie Antoinette’s audacious creations to the present day. Stevenson also ventures to say what kind of fabrics and trends will be in fashion by 2020.

4. The Little Black Book of Style, by Nina Garcia

Written by Elle’s fashion director and Project Runway judge, Nina Garcia, this book reminds us that being fashion is more than follow the trends: is dressing up according to your own personality! There are many inspiration sources, that goes from movie stars to the great names of fashion world, like Coco Chanel and Marc Jacobs.

5. “100 Years of Fashion”, by Cally Blackman

There are more than 400 iconic pictures that show fashion history at the 20th century. It goes from the artistic vanguards and women in the job market until the urban movement groups and the new trending and style. Classic stylists like Christian Dior, Cristobal Balenciaga, Coco Chanel and Jeanne Lanvin are reminded on the pages.

Laís is a 20 years old girl from São Paulo - Brazil. Journalism student at Casper Libero University and crazy about TV shows, movies, music and fashion. Justin Timberlake and Maroon 5 crazy fan!
Giovanna Pascucci

Casper Libero '22

Estudante de Relações Públicas na Faculdade Cásper Líbero que ama animais e falar sobre séries.