10 Reasons Why You Should Watch How I Met Your Mother Before It Gets Out of Netflix!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

Recently Netflix announced some series will be removed from their catalog in July, such as Glee, Prison Break and 24 hours (all of fox’s shows). Among them, the one that caused more impact on spectators was How I Met Your Mother, a sitcom in which Ted, the main character, tells his kids about his journey trying to look for “the one” (their mother), with funny stories about him and his friends Marshall, Lily, Robin and Barney. The series has got 9 seasons with about 20 episodes each, with lots of humor! If you haven’t watched it yet, go to Netflix before it gets too late!

10. The episodes last for only 20 minutes. In contrast to most series like Game of Thrones, Orange is the New Black or even Thirteen Reasons Why, each episode of How I Met Your Mother lasts for about 20 minutes, it makes the series much more dynamic and easier to watch.

9. How I Met Your Mother has a lot of details that only few can notice. The most famous one is in the 6th season where, throughout the episode, numbers appear on ordinary objects counting down from 50 to 1 to a surprising ending.

8. Special guests. In 9 seasons, a lot of famous people have appeared on the show, like Katy Perry, Britney Spears, Jennifer Lopez, Carrie Underwood, Lucy Hale, Ashley Benson, Mike Tyson, Enrique Iglesias, Angels from Victoria’s Secrets, and many others. It’s so fun to watch your idols alongside the main characters.

7. Life lessons. As the story has already happened and the narrator is the protagonist, at the end of almost every episode, Ted shows that he’s learned something from that experience as a way of telling their kids a story and teaching them about life at the same time, but always in a funny and smart way.

6. Friendship

One of the nicest things on How I met your mother is the friendship between Ted, Marshall, Lily, Barney and Robin. They go through several things together and have ups and downs, as in any friendship, but they always stick together. And remember: “It’s not legendary unless your friends are there to see it!”

5. Marshmallow and Lilypad

Marshall and Lily first met in college, and since then they had never been apart (or almost – spoiler alert!). But as in every relationship they have their ups and downs, what doesn’t take away their title of best couple ever! They know every little thing about each other (in the weirdest details), support each other no matter what, have inside jokes, share an unconditional love and do the funniest things together, but still, they also have their jealous attacks and arguments about everyday life, always making up at the end, because their love overcomes everything.

4. It’s real

With a plot that involves childhood traumas, friendship’s ups and downs, financial problems, love crises, first car, marriage, pregnancy, embarrassing situations and overestimated expectations, this show could be about anyone. Every one of us have been through these situations or at least might be one day,  what make us even closer to the story.

3. Robin Scherbatsky

Robin is different. She’s strong, she breaks taboos, doesn’t want to have kids, doesn’t want to marry early and puts her journalist career above love and everything else. This kind of woman, strong and independent, it’s not common in series and that’s why we admire and love her so much.

2.Twists and turns

How I Met Your Mother is one of the most unpredictable series you will ever watch. Everything you’re sure it’s going to happen, turns out it doesn’t. Characters travel, move out, date, lose their jobs, fight, all kinds of things can happen, which makes the plot more exciting and you just never get bored.

1.The mystery of who the mother is

Through all the seasons you keep trying to discover who the mother of Ted’s kids is. Although, there are some tips Ted gives us in some episodes and even her name is revealed in the beginning of the series, so pay attention!

Victoria Bechara

Casper Libero

18 years old, journalism student at Cásper Líbero. 
Giovanna Pascucci

Casper Libero '22

Estudante de Relações Públicas na Faculdade Cásper Líbero que ama animais e falar sobre séries.