10 Not so Popular and Yet Great Shows to Marathon over the Holidays

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

1. Twin Peaks

SHOWTIME

Who killed Laura Palmer is the question the whole world should be asking. Pretty much every good show that you watch nowadays was somehow inspired by this amazing David Lynch drama. It’s full of mystery, dreams (of course, it’s a Lynch story) romance and intrigues. It should be mandatory for every single person in the world.

2. My Mad Fat Diary

CHANNEL 4

This is not just another story of a depressive and  fat teenager who can’t deal with bullying anymore and tries to kill herself. Forget everything you’ve ever watched that talked about this topic and enter the amazing and creative mind of Rae Earl. She creates a universe of her own and deals with everything with a whole lot of humor and sarcasm. It’s impossible not to fall in love with the plot and all characters and it’s definitely one of my favorite shows ever.

3. Misfits

CHANNEL 4 Five youngsters are forced to do community service and while they’re doing it, all of them are struck by lightning and receive special powers. Each of their powers has something to do with their personalities. It’s crazy, funny and amazing.

4. Awkward

MTV

Jenna, a high school student, is an outcast who falls in love with the popular quarterback. So cliché, right? Except nothing that happens in Jenna’s life is cliché, everything is awkward and crazy. The perfect kind of show to fall in love with and laugh a lot.

5. Penny Dreadful

HBO

‘Penny Dreadful’ were little books with horror stories sold by a penny in the United Kingdom in the 19th century. The show follows the style of the classic horror movies and mixes the stories of Frankenstein, vampires, werewolves, witches, and others. Great for those who enjoy horror of a good quality, something that’s really missing in Holliday these days.

6. The Americans

FOX

In the 80s, an ordinary couple apparently just takes care of their children in the suburbs of the United States. In reality, they’re undercover KGB soviet agents during the cold war. Besides trying to live in the ‘American way of life’ they also need to teach their kids how to be American  and kill a CIA agent every once in a while.

7. Downtown Abbey

itv

The news of the Titanic disaster chocked the Crawley family, who lived in the Downtown Abbey mansion. Following the aristocrats and their servants, the show talks about politics, war and even the beggining of the feminist movement. It’s addictive, clever and fun!

8. Reign

The CW

Reign tells the story of Queen Mary of Scotland, who as child was sent to France and promised to marry Prince Francis, the future King of France. It’s scandalous, evolving, addictive, full of romance, fights, politics and the best part is that is all true History.

9. The Get Down

NETFLIX

A ragtag group of teenagers run wild in the streets of the Bronx in the late 1970s. After a fire that destroyed almost everything, they’ve got no one to look after them and can only count on themselves to survive. With improvised dance steps and the art of grafitti, they tell the story of the origin of hip hop and the black American culture. The amazing soundtrack is background for impossible romances, political games and a pop star dream.

10. Westworld

HBO

The newest HBO drama takes place in a crazy amusement park. The park’s attractions are robots, which are called “hosts”, who introduce crazy stories to the guests and it’s up to them to choose in which story they want to take part. Everything sounds wonderful, but when talking about robots who look like humans we know that things aren’t that simple. The show will leave you wanting more and more in each episode. The first season has already finished and the second one premieres in 2017.

Gabrielle Vianna

Casper Libero

Bárbara Muniz

Casper Libero

Bárbara Muniz is a Journalism student and Theather lover. Half journalist, half artist, totally feminist. Hufflepuff placed, sagittarian and vegetarian. Cásper Líbero University's Charpter co-correspondent and editor-in-chief. Intern in a Brazilian broadcast channel called BandNews TV, where she works among production for newscast and social media.