You Had Questions, We Have Answers.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Case chapter.

We’re often told that “there is no such thing as a stupid question.”  Early in life I was hesitant to embrace this concept and was reluctant to ask questions in any setting.  I eventually overcame this fear and live life asking questions to obtain any bit of information that I believe to be necessary.  That being said, there is a time and place for everything and for those girls who can never seem the time and or place to ask certain questions, I took it upon myself to present a forum for their curiosity to be answered.  During the last week I randomly asked twenty girls for questions that they most wanted answered by men.  After collecting the questions that were asked most frequently I sought out a diverse group of ten men varying in everything from sexual orientation to relationship status, to major to provide answers.  It’s impossible to choose just one, so I decided to provide multiple answers for each question for the sake of perspective.  Here we go.

1. Should a girl ever offer to pay for anything?

“If it’s a date no, otherwise it doesn’t hurt to offer.”

“Expect and offer to pay for half. If the guy wants to pay for you then let him. A girl who has a problem splitting the bill is sending up some serious gold digger red flags.”

“If she was the one to suggest the activity, then she should at least pay for herself. Ex: ‘I’m hungry. Let’s go get some lunch!’ It works both ways too though, if I ask a girl on a date or suggest an activity out of nowhere then I fully intend on paying.”

2. Do funny girls intimidate guys?

“Yes (mostly because I’m not funny, I imagine others would have different responses).”

“I don’t see why funny girls would be intimidating. If anything, having a decent sense of humor makes the girl more attractive.”

“Yes, laughing is fun but if she’s not funny then it’s not a huge dealbreaker or anything.

3. Are bangs cute?

“Depends on the girl.”

“YES.”

“Bangs are like slapping god in the face for giving you a gorgeous gift.”

4. If I text back right away, do I come off as thirsty?

“If a girl texts back right away it means she’s interested in the conversation. Overall “thirstiness” is determined by the amount she flirts in said conversation.”

“No. It shows you want to talk.”

“Noppity Nope Nope Nope.”

5. Is chivalry dead?

“I’m friendly and courteous to everybody I meet. I respect people who earn my respect. Don’t expect to be treated like a princess just because you’re a girl. Expect to be treated like a human being because you are (hopefully) one of those.”

“Chivalry isn’t dead, although I held a door open the other day and was scolded because she felt that she could do it herself and I was being rude.”

“Somewhat.”

6. What’s the most attractive quality in a girl?

“Confidence.”

“Physical attractiveness. It’s a hard truth but you wouldn’t be attracted to me either if I was an  overweight pube-face living in my mother’s basement.”

“Intelligence.”

7. What makes a guy decide on whether he wants to settle down or just hook up? What is the game changer that makes you want to go from a casual hook up to a relationship?

“It depends on the “vibes” the girl gives off. If I get the impression she’s just looking for a casual hook up, I’m not going to get emotionally invested with the hopes of starting up a relationship.”

“To paraphrase Supreme Court Justice Potter Stewart, I can’t describe it, but I know it when I see it.”

“Your heart is in it when you’re sober.”

8. Are you more likely to hit on a girl if she’s at a bar alone or with friends?

“Alone.  Friends can be overwhelming.”

“This is a double edged sword. Girls are easier to hit on while alone than with friends, but approaching a group of girls takes balls. Girls definitely recognize and appreciate this. If she’s with friends however, guys won’t be successful unless they charm the entire group. Since I’m flirting with your whole squad you’re gonna have to compete with your friends for my attention. I would recommend splitting your big group up into a few groups of 2 or maybe 3. That way you don’t have to walk around by yourself but you’re still approachable. Also I can bring my best wingman with me and maybe set your friend up too!”

“50/50 (well, not anymore, but you get the point).”

9. What makes a girl more attractive?

“Athleticism or working out.  Knowing and being able to care of your body is very important. Plus, couples that workout together, stay together.”

“In conversation: Sharing common interests or hobbies, having a sense of humor, etc… There are a million things I can list here, but everything’s different for each guy.”

“Being down to Earth.”

10. What are some unusual turn offs/ons?

“Nothing unusual here.

Turn offs: Sailor mouth (occasional swearing is okay, though), poor posture, always on her phone.  I imagine girls have a similar standard.

Turn ons: physical contact, laughing at my jokes, good posture, etc.”

“Bad teeth or breath.”

“No interesting hobbies/interests/etc.”

11. What makes you deem a girl as “crazy”?

“When she lies constantly and doesn’t admit to her lies when you find out.”

“All girls are crazy on some level, it’s just a matter to what extent they are crazy.”

“A lot of times when a guy calls a girl crazy, he doesn’t understand that he wasn’t good enough to keep her around. A lot of times when a guy calls a girl crazy it means she saw him wish another girl a “Happy birthday” on facebook and keyed his truck, drowned his dog, and shit on his doorstep. Decide which category you fall into.”

12. What makes an ideal date?

“A good time. There can be awkward moments and missteps, but as long as nobody intentionally causes any hard feelings, a good time for all involved is a great date, no matter the activity.”

“One that doesn’t feel like a date. For example, one where we just stay in and watch movies.”

“Don’t plan a date as a way of impressing someone. Do an activity that both people want to do. If you enjoy each others company then you can tell if you’re compatible.”

So that’s about it.  Though there are no truly unanimous answers given, I hope that they are still constructive in your pursuit of knowledge.  If these questions happen to spur follow ups, don’t be afraid to ask!  Remember, there is no such thing as a stupid question.

A member of the class of 2017 at Case Western Reserve University by way of your not so typical New England boarding school, Jeep Madison is double majoring in communication sciences and english with a minor in political science.  He is a brother of the fraternity, Phi Delta Theta, and a member of the Spartan football team.  A self proclaimed feminist, he feels very strongly about current events surrounding domestic violence and the integration of women into traditionally male social realms.  With so much indecision on what the future holds, Jeep is currently an aspiring trophy husband.