Your 5-Step Guide to Surviving Kenosha Winters on Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Carthage chapter.

Well, here we are! Mid-way through November and wondering how the heck we’re almost approaching finals szn. As we’re working hard to keep our GPAs up, the temps outside are dropping and the days are rapidly becoming shorter and shorter (ugh). Winter is slowly creeping up on us, and if you’re new to Kenosha then you’re going to want to take a seat—because I’m about to get real with ya. Kenosha winters are rough, rough being an absolute understatement. And if you want to come out of J-Term alive (and, let’s be real here, almost all of Spring semester), there are just five simple ways to survive the next few months on campus. So, grab your boots and scarves and let’s dive in!

1. Boots. Wear them. And make sure they have good traction.

GIF courtesy of Giphy

Your morning stroll to class down Campus Drive quickly turns into an icy death trap come wintertime, no matter how much salt is laid down. To spare you the extreme embarrassment of wiping out on the ice in front of half the student body, I leave you with this—invest in good boots! I know it can be difficult forking over a decent amount of cash for shoes you’ll only wear for a few months, but I sincerely promise they’re worth every penny. After plenty of close calls, I can confirm that I’ve avoided my brush with a certain icy death after purchasing Sorel boots. Just look for something that fits and has exceptional traction, and you’ll be on your way!

2. Bundle up!

GIF courtesy of Giphy

I know, I know. A lot of us ‘round here are Midwesterners (hey Cali kids, I hope you enjoy the snow!), and for some reason, a lot of us stomp around thinking we’re too tough for winter jackets. Sure, it seems silly to pull them out while it’s still 40 degrees outside, but those 40 degrees will quickly slice in half to 20, and so on. No matter how accustomed you think your lifestyle is to the cold, it’s better to be safe rather than sorry. Don’t forget the scarves, hats and gloves too!

3. Use the buildings to your advantage.

GIF courtesy of Giphy

Campus Drive is decently short but, during winter, it can seem like it goes on for miles. Fortunately, there are a few ways around this. Although it can add some time to your commute to class, I often seek the warmth of the other dorm buildings or the “secret tunnel” connecting the JAC to the library (through the elevator, hint hint) to avoid being outside for as long as possible. Just remember to be respectful of the residents if you choose to stroll through the dorm buildings!

4. Dozens and dozens of blankets. ‘Nuff said.

GIF courtesy of Giphy

If you’re a perpetually cold person like me, the dorm heating just doesn’t cut it sometimes—especially if you’re in a room facing the lake. In order to combat the heat, you’ll want to create a stockpile of throw blankets now, and throw on a pair of fuzzy socks while you’re at it. You’ll be spending half of J-Term watching Netflix in your bed anyway, so it’s best to be prepared!

5. Have a warm drink in your hand at. All. Times.

GIF courtesy of Giphy

As if you needed another reason to hit up Starbucks or Seattle’s! (Or both). Gloves are a must, but nothing warms up the hands like a piping-hot cup of coffee or hot chocolate. So, hop in line and get ready to be a regular, because your venti peppermint mocha will be key in surviving the walk back to your dorm after class.

There you have it! Winters in Kenosha are rarely friendly, especially on campus. However, with these five tips in mind, I promise that you’ll make it through ‘til Spring semester. And the preparation begins now, because winter is coming.

Rep image courtesy of Pexels

Amanda graduated from Carthage College with a Bachelor's degree in both Communications and Public Relations. She also proudly served as the Editor in Chief of her college's Her Campus chapter, and as a Her Campus Editorial Intern. She is from Chicago, Illinois, which she can confirm is indeed a windy city. Today she can still be found furiously tapping away at her laptop keys and producing content for the internet. In her spare time she enjoys reading books (before watching their Netflix or movie adaptions), running for fun (yes, it can be fun) and spending time with her friends and family.