Robert Miner: An Inside Look Into Studying Abroad in Australia

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Carthage chapter.

Studying abroad can be a life-changing opportunity for many college students. By studying abroad, many students experience an array of opportunities in a new culture and a foreign land. Robert Miner, a senior at Carthage College, is currently studying at the University of Queensland in Brisbane, Australia, and has had quite the experience to share!

Photo courtesy of Robert Miner

HC: What was your first day in Australia like?

Upon arrival in Australia, Robert describes his first day as “an out of body experience.” He goes on to state that he “knew [his] body was physically in Australia but [his] mind wasn’t there yet.” After 20 hours spent traveling across the Pacific and skipping an entire day due to crossing the international date line, extreme jet lag was to be expected.

HC: What was the biggest cultural difference you noticed right away?

Topsy-turvy driving and shortened words pretty much sum up the cultural differences Robert discovered relatively soon after arriving.

RM: [Australians] drive on the opposite side of the road and the driver is also on the opposite side of the car! It was so weird and hard to comprehend at first, but I’ve gotten so used to the easy flow that comes with the reversed driving directions. Even today, with about three weeks left in Australia, I can’t think about how we drive [in America] without my head hurting.

The other big thing you notice right away is how there’s a difference between American English and Australian English. Australians love to shorten phrases and have entirely different meanings to words. An example is ‘arvo,’ the Australian word for ‘afternoon’. That’s the stuff you notice right away.

HC: How is the course structure different than what you’ve experienced at Carthage?

RM: THE COURSES ARE SO MUCH EASIER! Australians don’t know how well they’ve got it in comparison. This is because the courses have one lecture per week and one tutorial per week. The lectures are similar except for the fact that my smallest lecture consisted of 250 students. The tutorials you can think of as a contact session with your professor and it’s the equivalent of having a lab period for each class. The professors are much more relaxed and you never call them by ‘Dr. Whatever,’ instead you call them by their first names and they become offended if you ever refer to them as anything else.

HC: What is something you will never forget about studying abroad?

RM: I will never forget [the] moment when I realized that no matter where I am in the world, I’m not alone. During my time abroad I’ve had some challenging life events happen. Back in August, both my banking and credit card information were stolen and I was without money for two weeks. The other challenging experience was when my grandfather passed away in September. In both of these situations, I felt supported by both my friends and family in the states along with the new friends I’ve made in Australia. These challenges really helped to develop my Australian friendships and that’s what I will never forget, the friendships I’ve made here in Australia.

HC: Do you feel like studying abroad was a life-changing experience? And would you recommend it to a fellow student?

RM: Yes, it has changed my life and I recommend it to everyone. I think it should be mandatory for everyone to study abroad; it opens up your eyes to so much in the world. I know people will say they can’t because of whatever reason, but if I was able to study abroad, I promise that anyone can if you try hard enough and work for it.

In short, studying abroad can be an emotional and enlightening experience. If you choose to study abroad, no matter where you decide to expand your studies, it’s something that will stick with you forever.

Rep image courtesy of Robert Miner

Johnelle is a sophomore at Carthage College, pursuing a Bachelor of Arts degree with a major in Graphic Design and minor in Photography. She is originally from Stratford, Wisconsin, where the cattle to people relationship is 5:1. When she can't be found running for cross country or track & field she can be found with her camera to her face snapping pictures or in a cozy blanket/pillow fort working on graphics (or occasionally catching up on her favorite TV episodes).