Riley Geoghegan: Fall Dance Show ‘Nimble Attitudes’

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Carthage chapter.

With the remainder of the semester just around the corner, it seems as though everyone is as busy as could be. A select few of talented individuals are busier than ever on campus. Those performing in the Fall Dance Show ‘Nimble Attitudes’ have been putting in countless hours to give you a breathtaking experience. Her Campus reached out to sophomore collegiette Riley Geoghegan for an insider look at what it takes to make the dance show a successful event.

Photo courtesy of Riley Geoghegan

HC: How long has everyone been preparing for the dance show?

RG: The choreographers have had these pieces in their mind since before the summer even started, and we held auditions for the show the first week back to school. Since then, it has just been an uphill climb to get to the show. 

HC: Approximately how many people will be in the dance show?

RG: There are approximately 20 to 30 people involved in the performance aspect of the show. Behind the scenes with crew and everything, there is probably that many if not double, working stage management, lights, music, costume, makeup, box office, etc. 

HC: How many hours do the performers put into making the show a success?

RG: It has been a long haul to get where we are. Including auditions, rehearsals, and the whole of tech week, the total time put into the show has to be somewhere around 45+ hours and that is not counting all of the training and studio time, outside of rehearsals, to get where we are today. 

HC: How many pieces will be performed, and what type of dance? 

RG: There are eight pieces in total, offering a variety of styles. There is tap, ballet, lyrical, and even some hip-hop being presented for our audiences

HC: What piece(s) are you performing in? 

RG: I personally will only be involved in the tap piece. It’s a medley of Beatles songs put together and choreographed by Kristina Saldarelli. 

Photo courtesy of Riley Geoghegan

HC: What are you most excited about in the dance show?

RG: It sounds weird but as much as I hate it, I am excited about Hell Week. The long nights, no sleep, and just all around craziness that occurs during Hell Week, forms a special bond between you and your peers. It is honestly one of the worst experiences anyone could ever be a part of, but at the same time, it’s one of the best things in the world. 

HC: Finally, when, where, how? When can people attend the dance show? Where is the show being held? And how much is it to attend the show?

RG: The dance show will be held Friday, December 8th and Saturday, December 9th at 7:30 p.m., and Sunday, December 10th at 3:00 p.m., in the Wartburg Auditorium. Tickets are free for all Carthage College students. So come one, come all. The auditorium is definitely spacious and can seat as many as possible. You can pick your tickets up at the box office Tuesday-Friday from noon to 5:00 p.m., or by going to their online store.

The box office will also be open an hour before each of the performances. 

Rep image courtesy of Riley Geoghegan

Johnelle is a sophomore at Carthage College, pursuing a Bachelor of Arts degree with a major in Graphic Design and minor in Photography. She is originally from Stratford, Wisconsin, where the cattle to people relationship is 5:1. When she can't be found running for cross country or track & field she can be found with her camera to her face snapping pictures or in a cozy blanket/pillow fort working on graphics (or occasionally catching up on her favorite TV episodes).