Realistic New Year’s Resolutions You Can Actually Stick To

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Carthage chapter.

New Year’s is a great excuse for fresh and new beginnings. The trouble is, sometimes we don’t always stick to the resolutions we think we can handle. This year, we can change that! I’ve listed five realistic New Year’s Resolutions.

1. Diet changes

Easier said than done, I know. However, this doesn’t necessarily mean immediate drastic changes. These changes can be small, like reducing the amount of sugar you have during the week. If you choose to take little steps, you can maintain this change throughout the year, and even set more goals as the year goes on.

2. Exercise

You can maintain this goal similarly to the diet change I mentioned above. This doesn’t mean to join a gym and jump right in. You can start with small ways to get in exercise, like planning to take a walk for 10 minutes every day. This allows room for growth, so eventually, maybe you make time for a half hour walk.

3. Social media usage

If you’re like me, you love your phone, especially social media. While social media can be a great way to stay connected to friends and family, too much use can take a toll. This new year, make it a priority to change how often you check your apps. For me, I plan on starting to designate an hour of my day to put my phone away and focus on something I enjoy—reading.

4. Spring cleaning (but in January)

Who says cleaning has to only be in spring? January 1st is a great excuse to go through everything you think you need in your room. Take time to seriously think about the clutter in your room, and think about if you really need to keep that friendship bracelet from your best friend in fifth grade. By purging your room of the clutter, you’ll feel more at ease. An awesome idea I recently learned is to take all hangers and switch them backward. For every item of clothing you use, switch the hanger forward. If you find that some hangers are still backward, then you should consider donating them.

5. Redecorate

While you’re cleaning, why not decorate too? Rearranging furniture and adding decor to your room can be a refreshing start to the new year!

As we finish up the first month of 2018, the pressure to make lifestyle changes can be super stressful. While making changes can be a good thing, making super big, drastic changes can be difficult. Making small goals to set throughout the year can lead to the big results you want!

Ali Jagielo

Carthage '19

Ali is a senior at Carthage College majoring in English with a double minor in Communications and Public Relations. She is originally from Westmont, IL, but wishes to one day live in Chicago. She is a proud member of the Beta Lambda chapter of Chi Omega here at Carthage. When she is not working or in class, she loves to spend her time reading, watching Netflix, or going on adventures with her friends.