Wellness > Health

How to Stay Fit On Campus if You Hate the Gym

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Carthage chapter.

While some collegiettes rule the gym, more than a few of us find ourselves avoiding it at all costs. However, even exercising a few minutes a day can benefit you significantly, whether it’s your physical or mental health. Luckily, there are plenty of ways to stay in shape while still avoiding the confusing and uncomfortable atmosphere of the gym.

Photo courtesy of Nathan Cowley

1. Fitness Classes

The Tarble Athletic and Recreation Center offers a variety of group fitness classes at different times throughout the week.

Taylor Beck, a junior at Carthage, who has participated in yoga, plyoga and kickboxing classes on campus, finds that having the instructors to guide you along is a great tool for people like her, who “don’t know what to do at the gym.”

Even though it may not seem very private or personalized, Carthage students, like senior Meredyth Wenta, don’t see it this way. “Even though you’re in a room of other students, you truly get to have your own experience,” she says.

All you have to do to join is reserve your weekly spot! 

2. Online workout videos

What would we do without YouTube? I mean, besides procrastinate relentlessly… But the website isn’t all just Vine compilations and addicting BuzzFeed videos—it’s also a great source for workout routines! For those of you who are either uncomfortable with group fitness or have a hard time fitting exercise into your schedule, this option might work for you.

Amanda Goecke, a senior at Carthage, says, “I swear by fitness videos on YouTube, especially if you have a packed schedule! They’re free and they make it so much easier to sneak in 10 minutes of abs or 20 minutes of cardio from the comfort of your own dorm.”

3. Personal Trainers

Do you still want a one-on-one workout but need someone to motivate you in person? Carthage actually offers free personal trainers! This person will work to personalize and make the best fitness routine for you. Simply fill out an online form, and you’ll be put in contact with someone who can help you reach your goals.

4. Take advantage of Carthage’s location

Who says you need to stay inside to get the best workout? Kenosha’s bike and jogging trails run past Carthage’s main entrances and all the way through downtown! And if that’s too intimidating, the path that circles through our campus works as a wonderful outdoor track. It certainly eliminates the sometimes-dingy atmosphere of the gym and instead introduces you to the different scenery of our town—the beach, woods, pier and main street are just a short walk away.

It’s important to stay active, especially with the stress of busy school schedules, and you don’t need to add the stress of the gym on top of that to do so.

Rep image courtesy of Tirachard Kumtanom

Emily is a senior at Carthage College double majoring in English, with an emphasis in creative writing, and theatre, with an emphasis in costume design. She has also studied writing at Columbia University in the City of New York and The Second City - Chicago. Some of Emily's talents include eating large portions of pasta, quoting 80s romantic comedies, and unwanted Louis Armstrong impressions. These will all be very useful for her future career in television writing and producing.