Freshman Year vs. Senior Year as Told by Carthage College Seniors

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Carthage chapter.

College is a strange time, isn’t it? What’s even more strange is how different your freshman year can be from your senior year. Think about it: During your freshman year, everything is so foreign to you. For the first time ever you’re living on your own, you get to choose when (and if) you go to class, etc. It really is an exhilarating experience starting college. But then, a few years pass, and suddenly you’re a senior preparing for graduation. Are you the same person as a senior as when you were as a freshman? I’m sure, in most cases, people would say no; and the few senior collegiettes from Carthage College who I spoke with seemed to agree.

Photo courtesy of Pexels

“There were a lot of changes from my freshman year to my senior year,” says Chrissy Loeb. “Carthage almost feels like a different school! There was a time when I thought about transferring, because who can commit to something for four years when you’re 18? Maturity-wise, I was such a different person my freshman year. I’ve grown a lot. I’ve made really good friends along the way. When you start your senior year, classes get harder and then BAM it’s only classes for your major. Then reality sets in, and it’s your last homecoming, etc. as an undergraduate student.”  

“I decided to go through [sorority] recruitment my freshman year, and I honestly don’t think I would still be at Carthage if I hadn’t,” explains Megan Marfilius. “During my first semester, I was really scared to put myself out there and meet new people, but once I joined Greek life, I just felt so much better about my time here. I also slightly wish I could go back and change my major from English to communications instead of what I’m doing now (English major, communications minor). Now, as I’m almost at midterms of my senior year, I’ve reflected on my time here at Carthage, and I realize that there really isn’t much that I would change.”

“I feel like I’ve changed so much between my freshman year and now [my senior year],” says Alexis*. “Not only have I become more mature and more independent, but I’ve really come into my own. I came into college thinking my path would take me one place, and took me somewhere else. I was a bit more introverted when I started college and now I’m more outgoing. During my freshman year, Carthage almost seemed like a foreign country; everything was so new! The people, living on my own, the independence… everything took some getting used to. That’s part of what made freshman year so exciting… and now all of that is coming to a close. It’s crazy to think how much can change in just four short years.”

We all have our own, different experiences in college, but it seems like most people have some sort of transformation. We learn so much about ourselves over these four years that seem to fly by way too quickly. While we all have our ups and downs, college is most certainly a learning experience. I definitely recommend taking a few minutes as a senior (or even a junior or sophomore) to reflect on your college journey thus far. Before you know it, you’ll be walking across that stage, accepting your diploma!

*Name has been changed

Rep image courtesy of Fabrizio Verrecchia

Amanda is a senior at Carthage College pursuing an English major with an emphasis in creative writing, and a double minor in political science and criminal justice. She is originally from Minnesota, and although she loves being at college, she always misses Caribou Coffee when she is away from home. Amanda enjoys writing, reading, hanging out with friends, hanging out with her guinea pig, and catching up on her latest obsession on Netflix, whatever that may be. She will also be attending law school in the fall of 2018, and hopes to become a civil rights lawyer in the near future.