6 Tips for Staying On-Task While Doing Homework

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Carthage chapter.

As we start Spring Semester, many students face problems with staying motivated. Trying to get yourself to do homework instead of other things, like socializing, can be very difficult. Staying focused, on-task and efficient can be especially difficult during those extremely cold days that make you want to stay in your warm bed all day. Here are some of my tips and tricks to getting your homework done.

1. Pick a homework spot

It’s much easier to get distracted when you’re on your bed or in busy areas while doing homework. So, clear off your desk or head to the library to stay focused on your work.

2. Figure out your best homework environment

If you need noise, do your homework somewhere that has music or a lot of people, or just wear headphones. If you need quiet, isolate yourself or wear noise-canceling headphones. Find an environment that works best for you.

3. Find your perfect homework time

I have certain times of the day when I’m the most focused, and those are the times that I choose to do my homework. During my focused times, I’m much more efficient at finishing up all of my work. I also get it done much faster during these times than when I’m unfocused.

4. Set goals and reward yourself to keep doing your homework

This isn’t the best way to get homework done, but sometimes it’s the only way I get my papers done on time. Set goals and have a reward for yourself at each goal you reach.

5. Think about tuition prices

You pay a lot of money to go to school, so don’t waste it by not doing your homework. Remind yourself how much you pay when you don’t want to do your work.

6. Put your phone down

Put your phone out of reach and out of view so that you can stay focused on homework instead of social media or games. If your phone is near you, turn on do not disturb or airplane mode to avoid it going off or lighting up and distracting you from homework.

These are the methods that work best for me, and I hope they help you find what works best for you. Don’t let the second-semester slump hit you, and stay focused on all of your work.

Rep image courtesy of Pexels

Sierra Eno

Carthage '19

Sierra is a junior at Carthage College majoring in Criminal Justice and minoring in Political Science. She loves dogs, pizza, cookie dough, and crime shows.