An Open Letter to Carleton’s Class of 2017

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Carleton chapter.

Welcome to Carleton University, class of 2017!

Congratulations! You did it! You’ve taken the giant leap into the best, and most memorable, years of your life. Now before you go out to Hull (the CU rite of passage for every first year) and celebrate your new life, you should probably know what you’ve gotten yourself into.

You’re going to feel the strain of papers, midterms, and the sweatpants and hoodie days called finals. You’ll most likely be pulling your fair share of all-nighters that consist of you, Microsoft Word, and a fast approaching deadline. And some of you will feel the pinch of being absolutely broke, and incorporating ramen noodles as one of your main food groups for a while.

Now, don’t get scared! I’m only getting you used to the idea that these things (potentially) lay in your immediate future. But, they wouldn’t call it the best and most memorable years for nothing!

With the bad, there always comes the good. University is the place where you get to know yourself, and learn to understand others as well. People aren’t afraid to show their true selves here, and neither should you. You’re going to learn a lot, and not only in your lectures.

I know, I know, this all sounds super cheesy but it’s true! You’ll see and experience it for yourselves.

But to give you a step-up so you can all prepare yourselves, here’s a list of 10 things you should remember while you’re at Carleton:

1) Learn to Accept Failure

You will most likely get a not-so-great grade on something, but remember it is not the end of the world!

2) Used Books Will Save You Thousands

I’m talking about Havens, checking Amazon, or bothering upper years for their books.

3) Love Yourself

Flaws and all. You are beautiful and no one can take that away from you.

4) Call Your Parents and Loved Ones At Least Once a Week

Being away from home can put a strain on relationships. Keep them going!

5) Some Classes Will Be A Struggle

Don’t let them break you, find your motivation and push forward!

6) You May End Up Hating Your Major

There’s absolutely nothing wrong with getting on a new path. Change your major if it’s not something you’re into.

7) Relationships Are Much Different in University

One-night stands, booty calls, hook-ups, floorcest etc. Be smart, and be safe.

8) Don’t Be a Tunnel Rat

They get packed, smelly, and take too long. Go outside once in a while! You’ll get better grades; I swear there’ve been studies!

9) Keep Up With the Course Material

It’s not easy, or fun, squeezing in four months’ worth of readings a week before your exams.

And finally….

10) Enjoy Yourself!

You’re still young, and have the rest of your life ahead of you. You want to be able to laugh and look back on the amazing things you’ve done five, ten, even twenty years from now. Make your time count.

Picture Source: http://monsteruniversitywallpaper.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Monsters-University-3D-Movie-Wallpaper.jpg

Jasmine Williams is a fourth-year Journalism major, pursuing a minor in Film Studies at Carleton University. An internship at a recently launched online magazine prepared her for her new, exciting role as Campus Correspondent for Carleton University. She is never too far away from her iPhone and in her spare time, you can find her scrolling through various tumblr blogs while listening to Kings of Leon. After university, she hopes to pursue a career in online journalism.