How To Look Cute In The Cold

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Carleton chapter.

BY ASHLEE KIM

As magical and beautiful as winter can be, it can also be a drag when it comes to deciding how to stay warm, avoid freezing your face, while still managing to look cute.

Here are some simple ways to look cute in the cold weather!

1) Knit sweater over a collar shirt.

image source : http://weheartit.com/entry/21520378

This outfit just screams “girl next door,” sophisticated and vintage all at the same time. By wearing a knit sweater over the shirt, you not only add a layer but it also accents the plain color of the sweater itself. Try to choose natural colored sweaters such as beige, grey or even black – that way you can wear colored shirts underneath!

2) Fur Vest

Throughout other seasons, fur vests can get double takes and weird looks. You are, after all, wearing animal skin as clothing. But for winter, wearing a fur vest over top of a non-patterned shirt makes it look fashionable, cute and totally understandable. It doesn’t have to be a full fur vest; I have one that has fur on the collars. Wearing this over top of a loose black, grey or white top will make it less “in your face” and more “I’ve got style.” To top it off, wear a long necklace to give it some accent and if your vest and top are neutral colors, add some color to the necklace!

3) Patterned leggings

image source : http://minougirl.com/2014/01/currently-loving-winter-fashion/

Sometimes patterned leggings aren’t for everyone, but wearing them with a matching colored, over-sized top balances the “exotic” pattern of these kinds of leggings. Wearing an over-sized top makes the leggings cute! Look at the color in your leggings and pick out one that you can wear as your top. For example, in the picture, there is grey, blue and pink. So wearing a similar shade of pink as your over-sized top balances the pattern! Wear simple boots that are dark if you choose to go for a bright patterned legging.

4) A cute skirt and a circle scarf

Who said skirts were only for warm days? Wearing a short skirt over leggings or tights gives it color, style and fashion. Then, wear an over-sized top or a loose top – preferably ones that go past your waistline. By making the top go slightly past your hips, you are layering in a way that makes the skirt cute and acceptable in this cold weather. Wearing a normal scarf will draw the attention down only to the skirt, but with a circle scarf, it balances out your skirt!

5) Flared Pea Coat

image source : http://www.lyst.com/clothing/moschino-cheap-chic-flared-bouclewool-peaco…

Instead of settling for a simple winter jacket, try to go for ones that flare out at bottom. Not only does this coat accentuate your figure, but it also helps when you are wearing thick pants or layered leggings so that it balances out your outfit! Then, wear some knee high boots; these make you seem taller!