Golden Globes: Top 10 Best Dressed

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Carleton chapter.

On Sunday, January 12th, the unbelievably talented and unfairly beautiful stars of the year’s greatest television and films hit the red carpet in Los Angeles for the 71st Golden Globe awards. The Golden Globes mark the official start of Awards season, and with the Award season inevitably comes red carpet fashion. Here we have the definitive ranking of the ten best dressed attendees from the night, as chosen with the utmost authority of myself.

1. Lupita Nyong’o
    Lupita’s style is always on point, and Sunday was no exception. The 12 Years a Slave star donned a Ralph Lauren dress in bold red. Red was definitely a trend on the carpet that night, but Lupita is a standout from the crowd with simple accessories and wicked cool hairstyle.

Source: AP Images

1. Emma Watson
    The red trend continued throughout the evening, and this time with an ingenious dress/pant hybrid. Emma took a real risk with this Dior gown: black skinnies paired with navy suede heels on the red carpet? The risk absolutely pays off. Emma rocks the gown without questions and the pants made for one of the most memorable looks of the night.

Source: Getty Images

1. Amy Adams
    You guessed it, more red to match the carpet! Only this time, two different shades of red. Amy Adams looked sexy and elegant in a simple Valentino gown with a plunging neckline halter top. The dress is stunning and Amy absolutely shone in it, especially when she was onstage accepting her award for her performance in American Hustle.

Source: Steve Granitz/WireImage

1. Cate Blanchett
    Cate went in a completely different direction than the trend of the night: black. Cate wore a stunning black lace Armani gown. Combined with beautiful retro hair and makeup, Cate’s look of the night is a showstopper.

Source: AP Images

[pagebreak]

1. Emilia Clarke
    The Game of Thrones star always looks elegant on the red carpet, and the Golden Globes were no exception. Emilia slipped on a strapless Proenza Schouler gown: with its semi-peplum and cutouts, interesting yet no less gorgeous choice for the evening. The grey colour in particular, is unusual for the red carpet, but Khaleesi pulls it off flawlessly.

Source: AP Images

1. Kerry Washington
    There is a well-known proverb that states: “One can do no wrong in Balenciaga.”
    There is actually no saying of the sort, but it is entirely true  when the wearer is Kerry Washington, whose red carpet style has achieved a near iconic status. Kerry’s custom gown showed off her baby bump and complimented her skin tone beautifully.

Source: AP Images

1. Michelle Dockery
    The Downton Abbey actress kept it classy in a strapless Oscar de la Renta gown. Michelle complemented the jewel-encrusted dress with a bear neck and nude heels. The length of the dress combined with Michelle’s hair and makeup give the gown a traditional vibe, which is always a win on the red carpet.

Source: AP Images

1. Naomi Watts
    If there’s anything Naomi Watts knows how to do (other than act, of course), it’s dressing for the red carpet. Her Tom Ford gown is sleek, shimmery, and stunning. The colour of the dress matched with the gold accessories and her hair colour could border on one-tone overload, but she pulls it off beautifully.

Source: Jordan Strauss/Invision/AP

1. Tatiana Maslany
    This was a look that slipped under the radar, but is still absolutely stunning. The Orphan Black actress looked chic and classy in a jeweled Jenny Packham gown. The cut of the dress is gorgeous, and when paired with Tatiana’s hair and makeup creates a look of old Hollywood glamour. Keep up the good work, Tatiana.

Source: Steve Granitz/Getty Images

1. Matthew McConaughey
    There had to be at least one gentleman on the list, as the fellas really went all out on the red carpet. There is something to be said, though, for a man who rocks a three piece suit with a velvet, emerald green quit jacket and vest. Matthew’s Dolce and Gabbana suit made him look every bit the winner that he was that night (he took home the award for Best Actor in a Drama for Dallas Buyers Club). It needs mentioning that his wife Camila Alves, also in Dolce and Gabbana, looked absolutely stunning.

Source: Reuters