Frosh Life: Preparing for Residence

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Carleton chapter.

I loved living in residence! So much that I stayed for all four years; I was in Glengarry first year, Frontenac in second, and Leeds (the upper year residence) for my third and fourth year. Each year was different, but equally great. Living in residence can test your boundaries at time, but the friendships you make and experiences you have will stay with you forever.

For all you incoming first years, the following facts (true and false) will help prepare you for Carleton and ‘Rez life’:

1. FALSE: The dreaded “Freshman 15”
Everyone has heard of the Freshman 15, the Freshman 20, and maybe for some, the Freshman 50! 

The truth is that while living in residence, you will be walking distance from Abstentions, the convenience store open until 3 am, the cafeteria (that is pretty much an unlimited buffet), and Oasis, home to Pizza Pizza, Quizno’s and more. Not to mention that with all the partying comes calories from beer, sugary cocktails, and the late night McDonald’s run or poutine from that great place at Sunnyside and Bank. But with all of that being said, you do NOT need to be a victim of the Freshman 15. Carleton has a great athletic facility, a wide selection of intramurals, and is located on the Rideau Canal – which has a path for biking and running in the warmer months, and freezes over for skating in the winter. In first year, your lifestyle will change a lot, but you can survive and avoid the Freshman 15 if you make the right choices.  

2. TRUTH: You might have to share a washroom.
This could be the most uncomfortable part of your first year: sharing a washroom. While most residences at Carleton have private washrooms, this is not the case for everyone. In Glengarry, I shared a washroom with my roommate and our neighbours, who were also female, and some of you might have to use the public washroom located on your floor. From someone who’s been there, here are some survival tips: bring flip flops, and a cute bathrobe for going to and from the shower. Additionally, learn the habits of your floormates. It is rare that people are awake early in the morning (i.e. before 9am for university students!) so take that time to shower and do your business in peace.

3. FALSE: Cafeteria food is gross, or unhealthy.
Carleton’s cafeteria, the Fresh Food Company, has been ranked first, or in the top three, in Canada for several years now. Despite the rumours you might hear, the food in the cafeteria is amazing! I lived in residence for all four years and never got sick of the cafeteria. We are blessed at Carleton to have a “choose your own” buffet style with stations for different culinary preferences, from stir fry to omelettes. Take advantage of the variety. Try eating vegan or vegetarian for a week, or try a new cuisine on one of the culturally themed days. Nothing replaces your parent’s homecooking, but Carleton’s make your own pasta is definitely a strong contender!

4. TRUTH: Floorcest is evil and should be avoided at all costs.
Floorcest, defined: When two students who live on the same floor become intimate, in other words, a big no-no. Not only is it awkward when you see that person in the elevator, but imagine running into them in the cafeteria, the study lounge, or even the bathroom (see #2). In residence, your floor is like your family. These are going to be the people you study with, eat with, party with, but hopefully not the people you sleep with.

5. TRUTH: Living with boys, it’s fun!
Unless you have specifically asked to live on an all-girls floor, you are going to be living with boys. At first you might be nervous, but don’t be. One of the best parts of living in residence is getting to know people you might not have reached out to: students in other departments, from other countries, and, well, students of the opposite sex. I am not going to rewrite the storyline of When Harry Met Sally, or get into a debate about whether or not girls and boys can be friends. For me, they absolutely can. In fact, the best friendships I made in residence, and at Carleton, are with guys. So don’t be shy! If you think a guy is great, reach out. Just make sure that you’re both on the same page and the feeling of friendship is mutual, then carry on. Living with boys is a great experience. You suddenly have 20 brothers that will protect and defend you, and a lot of brains to pick when you’re curious about that cute guy in PoliSci!

To this day, one of my closest friends is a boy I met from my floor in Frontenac in second year, Mike. ->

6. TRUTH: Homesickness
I love my family, but when it was time to move to Ottawa and live in Glengarry (the residence notorious for partying) I never looked back. The chance to live with 30-60 students your age away from home sounds like summer camp! But just like camp, you will eventually miss home. You’ll miss having your own room, parents that do your laundry, and even your brother who is often more annoying than not. Some students have the opportunity to go home every weekend, some students (and a lot of my floormates in first year) are international students who flew across the world to attend Carleton and aren’t so lucky. Most of you will be somewhere in between two blocks and two time zones from home, but with the beautiful innovations of FaceTime, Skype, Facebook, and of course texting, you’ll survive. The most important advice I can give incoming first year students is to make sure that you spend September getting to know your floormates, classmates, and teammates (I highly recommend intramurals!). Those who cling on to friends and family back home have a harder time integrating into their new lives when the homesickness really sets in. Really try to embrace your new life. Carleton is amazing and living in residence is an unforgettable experience!

PHOTO CREDIT
Kaisha’s own.
http://carletonuniversityresidence.com/

Jasmine Williams is a fourth-year Journalism major, pursuing a minor in Film Studies at Carleton University. An internship at a recently launched online magazine prepared her for her new, exciting role as Campus Correspondent for Carleton University. She is never too far away from her iPhone and in her spare time, you can find her scrolling through various tumblr blogs while listening to Kings of Leon. After university, she hopes to pursue a career in online journalism.